What to expect
As an engineer at LoanCrate, you'll continue our team tradition by shipping code to production on your first day! Following that, within your first month, you'll dive into your first mission-critical project, such as...
- 🙈 Architecting, building, and launching v2 of our no-code platform that our customers use to digitize their ops workflows and save millions of dollars per year.
- 🤝 Integrating with 3rd-party providers of lending services APIs to generate documents/disclosures, produce automated underwriting results, or prevent fraud.
- 🏗 Architecting, building, and launching the next generation of our job processing infrastructure on AWS to make LoanCrate's back end more observable and reliable.
Nearly all of our code is written in TypeScript. We use React on the frontend, Node/Express on the backend (running inside Docker), GraphQL/Apollo on both sides, and Postgres as our database. We use AWS (ECS, RDS, ElastiCache, SNS, and more) and manage all of our infrastructure with Terraform.
We believe that high engineering velocity drives high product velocity (and, in turn, our success as a company 😄). Keeping this in mind, we've invested heavily in creating a great developer experience that enables engineers to ship fast. Some highlights of our stack:
- ↔️ End-to-End Type Safety - We generate TypeScript types from our Postgres and GraphQL schemas so that when we change our database schema we see type errors in any incompatible frontend React components.
- 🌎 Full-Stack Code Sharing - Our build tooling supports seamless sharing of TypeScript files between the client, server, and other packages in our mono-repo so that we never have to define functions or configuration values twice.
- 🏠 Reproducible Infrastructure - We’ve used Terraform to manage 100% of our infrastructure since day 1 and have configured our CI pipeline to automatically deploy temporary staging environments for every pull request. We use these per-PR environments to get feedback from teammates and test any infrastructure changes using infrastructure that's identical to production.
- 🧪 First Class Testing Utilities - We have a comprehensive library of utilities that mock production-like data and feed automated end-to-end, integration, and performance tests. Our wide-ranging test suite allows us to move fast while maintaining nearly perfect uptime.
Preferred skills and background
(It's okay not to have all of these things - these are just some skills we are excited about!)
- 🔒 A constant and keen eye for security risks — we store and display some of people's most sensitive personal data and need to keep it safe!
- 🎨 A desire to be product-oriented, from thinking through the product implications of what you're building to contributing your unique ideas of how to improve the product.
- 🏙️ Ability to develop readable, maintainable, and effective software architecture patterns that support use of our product by various enterprise customers (each with thousands of employees and their own methods for running their companies).
- 👩🏫👨🏫 Excitement to mentor less senior engineers in both hard and soft skills.
- 🚈 SRE-oriented mindset for developing infrastructure that's reliable, observable, and requires minimal toil to maintain.
- 🌩️ Experience scaling high-throughput distributed systems in the cloud. Bonus points if you're experienced with infrastructure-as-code solutions like Terraform or CloudFormation!
- 🔧 Ability to develop full-stack web app features from design through deployment.
- 🛢️ Experience designing and scaling complex relational DB schemas, as well as figuring out performant ways to store, retrieve, and update such data. Home loans have thousands of data fields 🙃.
- Has worked at a sub 150 person company
- Works/has worked at a b2b company for at least a year in one of the following industries (requirement):
- health tech
- insurance tech