As a Lead Support Engineer (LSE), you will be a member of a small and distributed team that supports numerous customer and internal applications — from simple CMS websites to complex cloud-native web, mobile, and API-driven applications.
The LSE is assigned to all customer accounts and will be the main technical contact for those customers. As our team grows, we will add other LSEs and make customer account assignments. The LSE is accountable for ensuring we deliver quality technical outcomes for customers based on their subscription and associated Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
You will own the whole technical picture for the customer application(s) you support. You’ll handle customer requests (tickets) and ensure tickets are properly assigned and completed by other members of the company’s technical team. You’ll ensure our processes are followed and escalate blocking issues to the leadership team so there is time to address them without risking our SLA commitments. This includes helping the team follow our quality management and documentation processes. You’ll also be the primary engineer assigned to implement and improve our scheduled maintenance processes.
In addition to maintaining customer applications, you will also play a key role in the operations team. You’ll help us define and improve the overall Maintenance as a Service offerings, documentation, and processes, and the overall Maintenance as a Service offering.
Our LSEs possess a broad background in software engineering and software development life cycle management. They have experience in multiple technologies and have a passion for learning new skills and technologies. They are energized by the opportunity to dig into an existing codebase, quickly learn their way around, troubleshoot an issue or change request, and get the task done. They enjoy collaborating with a small team and know how to get things done personally and by effectively leading others. They delight customers with technical execution and excel at customer service and communication.
Here are the key day-to-day responsibilities of this role.
Provide leadership in the support of business-critical applications by providing direct action or leadership to ensure technical outcomes including:
- onboard new customer applications: kickoff, access, monitoring, knowledge transfer and documentation
- ongoing subscription maintenance: backups, monthly care reports, component updates, system updates
- general subscription items
- triage, complete or assign tickets
- lead team on ticket management (Kanban process): set expectations, ensure understanding, monitor to completion
- incident response
- Identify any common recurring tickets that could be solved by improving the application
- Develop and follow company practices to provide technical and project leadership for customer and internal projects.
- Code, test, and deploy fixes, configuration changes, optimizations, and enhancements to web, mobile, database, and API-driven applications.
- Troubleshoot issues identified and documented in help desk tickets.
- Coordinate work assignments for technical team members, validate estimates, review technical delivery, and ensure completion or escalation where appropriate.
- Assist in onboarding and documenting new customer applications.
- Use industry best practice guidelines for coding, testing, security, and deployment.
- Maintain up-to-date status and estimated resolution targets for all assigned tasks.
- Maintain up-to-date documentation for company and customer systems.
- Proactively offer ideas and recommendations about how to improve customer applications.
- Build and support the company’s own web applications and platforms that support the growth of our team and company.
- Communicate effectively (written and verbal) within a remote team through tools that include a help desk system, and Slack.
Along with other duties as assigned, the Lead Support Engineer is accountable to produce the following outcomes:
- Successfully onboarded customers
- Up-to-date systems and reports
- Completed technical tickets that meet customer expectations and SLA
- SLA-compliant and well-communicated disaster recovery resolutions
- Up-to-date project documentation
- Successfully onboarded developers
This is a full-time, exempt position and is 100% remote. Work location is in the U.S. and your work schedule must overlap the Eastern time zone for at least 6 hours a day. East coast is preferred. Sponsorship is not available.
- 10+ years of experience building or maintaining web applications
- 3+ years of experience as a team lead or manager of engineers
- Demonstrated track record of delighting customers through excellent communication, managing expectations, and executing a prioritized list of engineering tasks
- Experience and framework for directly troubleshooting issues and improving or optimizing already existing systems based on customer or internal direction
- Ability to make recommendations that include consideration of trade-offs between performance, experience, and quality
- Clear verbal and written communications suitable for internal and customer-facing situations Commitment to working in a maintenance-focused service desk environment
- Bias toward taking ownership of, and action on, clearly defined tasks as well as recommendations for leadership team approval when there are competing options or priorities.
- Working knowledge of agile development processes and methods
- Authorization to work in the United States - sponsorship is not available.
- Direct experience with database administration in systems that may include MS SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL and includes scripting, programming, views, functions, stored procedures, schema design, and backups
- Proficiency with Operating Systems such as Microsoft, Linux, macOS
- Direct experience with Cloud Environments like AWS, Azure, GCP (active certification in at least one is preferred)
- Current experience with code management systems like Git, TFS, GitHub
- Demonstrated DevOps experience with systems like Ansible, Chef, Jenkins, CI/CD pipelines. We may wear many hats so if you’re comfortable with provisioning servers and being in a shell environment you’ll have an extra edge.
- Experience with web Content Management Systems such as WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, Adobe Experience Manager, Hubspot
Working with us
We’re creating a fun, collaborative, remote-first company focused on delivering results every day. We offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Paid holidays and flexible PTO
- Technology stipend
- Professional development including training and continuing education stipend
- Mentorship and coaching
If you meet the requirements, are looking for a challenge, and think this role is a good fit for you, we’d like to hear from you!