At Simple Focus, our developers build web applications and websites that deliver on the promise of great strategy and gorgeous design.
You must have experience bringing a teammate’s designs to life, meaning you can take a flat design comp and transform it with engaging, thoughtful interactions. But don’t stop there. We want you taking strong concepts and elevate them into jaw-dropping interactive experiences by suggesting weirdo stuff that only a great developer knows how to do.
Your main focus will be on the front-end for web applications, usually with React, but we rely on all of our developers to understand and operate on the back-end as well, from building custom plugins to configuring deployment pipelines.
You will spend much of your time building CMS-based websites, building upon our Next.js + Craft CMS framework while also staying open-minded to CMS choices young and old. We use Shopify for e-Commerce and React for much of our front-end work, but we want you to feel empowered to push boundaries, consider alternate platforms and find new ways to solve old problems.
We believe in the power of interactive design and development to do just about anything. You will be part of an adventurous crew that’s willing to roll up their sleeves and figure things out, even when it seems impossible.
We take accessibility seriously and expect your code to be scalable, performant and clean. You will have a team of developers, designers and strategists that has your back. We are constantly learning from each other and pitching in to help, so this is the place to do the best work of your career.
How This Would All Go Down
In Your First Week
- Meet your coworkers and learn how we work as a team.
- Review our current lineup of projects.
- Familiarize yourself with our systems and processes. Attend planning meetings for your first project, a React-based web app.
- Start writing code.
In Your First Month
- Build a reviewable, functional prototype of your first application.
- Collaborate with a designer to help realize their design and the team's strategy.
- Plan how your prototype transitions into production code.
In Your First Three Months
- Launch your first project. 🚀
- Begin iterating and executing on the back log or stretch goals.
- Get ready to start your second project!
- Continue working on a variety of project types; from web apps to websites to e-commerce to environmental installations.
- Help the team define and refine development processes and frameworks.
- Explore new technologies within the context of projects for clients as well as supporting our in-house products.
We offer full health insurance, retirement and a total of six weeks off per year. We’re currently hiring in Memphis, Chattanooga or Portland, Ore. These are three great towns, so it’s a pretty sweet deal. If you’d rather work remotely, we’re happy with that, too.
Get ready to work hard and learn a ton.
- 3+ years experience as a front-end developer
- Able to write clean and semantic HTML and CSS
- Experience building websites or applications with React (Next.js a plus)
- Familiarity with Git
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Not scared by complicated problems
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) Craft CMS, WordPress, Strapi, Shopify, Laravel, PHP, GraphQL, Next.js, Gatsby, TailwindCSS, WebGL, Node.js, MySQL, Postgres
- In depth knowledge about SEO/accessibility best practices
- Experience building headless websites
- Experience building mobile apps
- Experience with third-party APIs
- Experience with Figma/Sketch
- Strong sense for design and user experience
The Application Process
If this sounds like you, we’d love to meet you. Here's how this will work.
- You apply, via email per the instructions below.
- In the coming weeks, if we decide you could be a fit for this role, we’ll contact you about an initial interview. If you don’t hear from us, that means we decided you’re not right for this position today, but we’ve got your name in the pool for similar roles down the road.
- You’ll meet with one or two decision makers on our team for about 30 minutes.
- We’ll set up a second interview, this time with some department heads and maybe a couple of potential teammates, too.
- There might be a third call, or we may go straight to talking about contracts, start dates and all that.
- You give a respectful notice to your current employer.
- We order your computer.
- You report to your first day of work!
How to Apply
To apply, send us an email to [email protected]
. In this email, here’s what we want to know:
- Anything you’d like us to know about you.
- Why Simple Focus? Sometimes you just need a job. We get it. But, take a minute and think about Simple Focus. What is it about this place or this job that interests you?
- Show us your work. Give us links. This is the best thing you can do. Put a link to your Github or specific work you’ve done right there in the body of the email.
- Highlight something. What’s the one project you’re most excited to talk to us about? Why?
- Where are you? We’re multi-local with offices in Chattanooga, Memphis, and Portland (Oregon). We’re remote-friendly too, so tell us where you’re trying to be.
- What are your salary requirements? We hiring at multiple levels right now. We want to get a sense for where you are in your career to make sure this is a match before we get much further down the road.
- Are you looking for full-time or contract work? We are primarily looking for a full-time person to fill this role, but we're open-minded if you're the right fit. Let us know what you're after, and we'll talk about it.
We look forward to meeting you. Godspeed.