We are deepr
– a small digital advertising agency with a cozy little office in Stuttgart, Germany but most of our team is spread all over the place. We specialize in crafting highly customized, lightning fast and beautiful websites, web applications as well as corporate designs and digital marketing strategies for a number of clients ranging from your next door coffee roastery to large companies.
Our agency as a whole consists of 23 people across the fields of design, strategy and web development. We currently employ seven dedicated and passionate web developers and are looking to add another person to our team: you!
Your ideal starting time would be immediately or as soon as possible – this position is waiting to be filled and we have a ton of cool stuff waiting!
Your position in the company
This is a long term full-time position for a WordPress developer working remotely but also with the option to join us at our office in Stuttgart as much or as little as you like. As a relatively small company, none of our developers do exclusively one thing only all the time. So you should be comfortable to go out of your comfort zone and deal with the unexpected thing, like a looming penetration test for a website, a page speed optimization task or connecting a third-party application through an API.
You will be working alongside our other developers and design colleagues to create amazing websites. The beauty of this position is that our clients span all industries and we have a huge variety of different projects, so you’ll be working on a ton of different things on a regular basis.
Your bread and butter work would include (but not be limited to) getting mockups from our design team and crafting them into custom WordPress themes. Or you might get a “wish list” of new features for an existing website from our project managers and need to assess the necessary time needed to complete these tasks and then execute them.
In your daily work, you will be tackling various front-end technologies to make our client’s projects beautiful pieces of craftsmanship. At the same time, you should not be afraid to take on back-end development tasks as both things go hand in hand in our line of work.
As a team, we are in regular communications through video calls, project management tools or our slack channel. We might work remotely, but it will never feel like anyone of us is working alone and that is a very important aspect to us. You should be fluent in both verbal and written English and be comfortable to socialize with the rest of the team and feel like a part of the family from day one.
Also, we value people that are quick to help out colleagues and are neither afraid to share knowledge nor to ask for help from somebody else. We’re in this together and it never hurts to keep the information flowing between members of the team.
On a daily basis, your main tasks include:
- WordPress theme development for new websites
- Frontend and backend
- Maintenance and updates of existing websites
- Page speed optimization
- Adding new features for existing websites
- Contributing and improving our development workflows
- You live between GMT -1 and GMT +3 time zones
- Fluent in both verbal and written English
- At least 1-2 full years of real project experience in web development
- Excellent knowledge of WordPress theme development (Custom Post Types, security best practices, popular plugins like Advanced Custom Fields, etc.)
- Advanced skills in PHP
- MySQL knowledge
- Familiarity with Less or Sass
- Expert knowledge of responsive HTML and CSS
- Experience with package managers as well as build tools (webpack, composer, npm, etc.)
- Experience with Git version control
- Friendly person, happy to work in a team and with some sense of humour
If you check most of these boxes but not quite all of them but you still feel like we should be talking with you, please don’t hesitate to apply! :-)
Bonus skills and experience
- Experience with WooCommerce
- Experience with Multilingual WordPress (WPML or Polylang)
- Worked with Gutenberg blocks before
- Experience with the REST API and third-party APIs
- Skills in VueJS or React
- Previous freelance or remote work experience
What we offer
- A huge variety of different clients and projects: You will never be working for several years on a single huge website that invariably bores you out of your mind at some point...
- A small but amazing team with friendly faces that will welcome you warmly right from the start.
- Flexibility to choose between a 4 or a 5 day work week (if you value a 3-day weekend, we’re happy to accommodate you)
- Lot’s of time off: 5 weeks of holiday each year
- Even more time off: There are between 8 and 14 days of public holidays each year in Germany which will apply to you, even if you work from another country
- Work from anywhere you want between GMT -1 and GMT +3 time zones
- Annual travel to our team summer camp in the mountains of Germany
Level of experience and compensation
This position is hovering between a junior and a senior web developer. On the one hand, we are looking for a somewhat experienced developer with some real projects under her or his belt, so you can hit the ground running. On the other hand, we are not in the business of developing sophisticated high-tech stock market trading algorithms, so you do not need to have 20 years of experience in software development and an Ivy League degree.
Please let us know in your application what your salary expectation would be so we can judge already if your expectations are wildly different from ours.
How to apply
Well, it’s quite simple, really. No complicated forms to fill out and no trick questions either. Just drop us a mail with your application and make sure you include the following information:
- An introduction to you as a person. We are interested in you as a human being, not just a developer: What’s your story, where do you live and work from and how did you find you way into this profession?
- A resumé with your work history.
- Some links to any public or private repositories or a portfolio of your work that we can have a look at to judge the quality of your code. We would like to look at some actual code of yours, not just see a link to a website you did. This can be anything you like to show and is not restricted to WordPress stuff.
- We don’t care much about degrees or certifications. The quality of your projects is more important to us than where you went to school.
- Please include your salary expectation.
- Anything else you think we should really see but didn’t ask for.
We look forward to hear from you and perhaps welcome you to our team real soon! :-)