Do you want to join Hornet? We are looking for a Senior Ruby Engineer to join our core team, starting immediately. We prefer you already have a familiarity with Hornet and the LGBTQ+ community in general and are looking for the chance to make meaningful changes that push the space forward.
- You will help us build out our server-side services and infrastructure
- Your job will be fundamental for designing and building out future versions of our API
- You will discuss, plan, and build new features and APIs using Ruby
- You will deploy and monitor completed code/features to the production environment
- You are welcome to actively contribute to decisions on server-side architecture
- You will triage bugs and performance or load issues as well as diagnose operational issues and make plans for future scalability and load handling
- You will participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we are moving fast while also maintaining quality codebases
- You will collaborate with client engineers building user-facing features to decide how APIs should work
Your Profile & Experience
- You think critically about your work and ask questions to improve the product, not only in its technical implementation but also in how well it’s serving the needs of our users
- You have strong communication skills and can explain complex technical topics to the entire team in a clear and concise way
- As we are primarily running a Ruby stack built on top of AWS, expertise in Ruby is a must to succeed in this role
- You have built scalable server-side APIs and can point to your work
- You can create clarity and make things happen even when work is fuzzy
- When something breaks inevitably, you eagerly jump in to diagnose and fix the core issues
- You feel comfortable working in a remote team
- You like taking responsibility for your work and you are able to deliver production-ready quality
- Ideally, you have previously worked in startups as a software engineer
Our Tech Stack
- We are running a mix of technologies in our stack, each chosen for a purpose and cognizant of the lean size of our team, keeping maintainability at the fore
- Core technologies include ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Postgres, Redis, and more than an average dose of AWS services
- Exposure to some of the technologies above would be beneficial but not required.
- You will be part of our mission to provide a safe space for the LGBTQ+ community
- We offer a flexible work environment where you can work fully remote
- We have engineering hubs in Prague and Cape Town if you like to head to the office
- We have quarterly product/engineering meetups in person
- All Team Hornet gets together once a year in attractive locations to meet up with remote colleagues
- We will offer you a long term contract with monthly invoicing
Interested? We are happy to receive your CV, a short motivation letter, and additional references if given.
We are looking forward to hearing from you! Do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds will lead to a better environment for our team members and a better product for our users and community.