At Masabi, we are helping to make cities better places to live, work and visit by enabling seamless, frictionless journeys on public transport systems. We are a SaaS company developing a fare collection platform that allows people to buy and present tickets for public transit on their mobile phones or by tapping a bank card or smart card to travel.
We believe a new fare payments system allowing passengers to tap and ride, without needing to buy a ticket or understand fares, should be available to every passenger and every transit agency around the globe, without prohibitive costs or taking years to deliver, helping people move seamlessly from A to B.
Our Justride platform has been named Ticketing Technology of the Year 2019/2020, being in use in over 100 locations worldwide, including New York, London, Boston, Las Vegas, Valencia, The Hague, Los Angeles, Sydney, and many more. With an exciting industry-first mobile ticketing SDK, we are partnering with companies like Uber
to enable the purchase of public transit tickets within leading mobility applications.
Join us on this exciting ride as we build the transit technology ecosystem of tomorrow.
Location: Europe (remote) or UK (remote or hybrid)
Masabi are looking for a Lead to head up our NFC team, which is a part of our expanding Justride Validation team, responsible for the infrastructure and software that powers our ticket validation systems. This is a senior technical role responsible for hands-on development as well as management of a team of developers generally consisting of two to three headcount that will bring our EMV and NFC solutions for public transport to market.
The role is a great opportunity for someone who wants to step into management while maintaining a vast hand-on technical contribution in the team.
- Java 8+ / Kotlin
- Native Android
- Embedded Linux (Yocto)
- Native iOS with J2ObjC
- Bitbucket / Bamboo / Gradle / Artifactory / Puppet / Docker
- Cloud hosted, Terraform/Puppet managed, PCI-DSS certified platform infrastructure
Core responsibilities of the role are are grouped into the following activities:
- At least 50% of available time doing hands-on Development activities within your Pod
- You will have solid core Java and object-oriented skills, and experience of implementing high-quality high-performance software.
- You enjoy debugging low-level code.
- Experience with ISO14443, Contactless EMV cards and native mobile development will be an advantage, but equally valuable is being open to learning about them. You should be comfortable analysing specs and application notes. You should also be the kind of developer that challenges the status quo and will be active in evolving our stack.
- Value collaboration, as you will learn how to excel as a team member by working closely not just with peers and colleagues from different areas of the business.
- Up to 25% of available time focused on Delivery Management, including:
- Ownership for the rituals of your Pod’s chosen delivery lifecycle (e.g. Sprint Planning, Stand-Ups, Sprint Reviews, Retrospectives, Release Coordination, Delivery Processes, Customer Launch Support). You are encouraged to develop delegates within your team to further reduce this time allocation.
- Partnering with Squad Product Managers to Groom Backlogs, Estimate Future Work, and Negotiate Dates with related definitions of done. You are responsible for delivery date management and the related communications.
- Partnering with other Pod Leaders, Squad Leaders and Tribe Leaders to coordinate cross-team technical activities.
- Partnering with the Tribe Principal Engineer to ensure the correct technical decisions are made within your team and across Masabi technology services.
- Partnering with the Tribe and/or Squad Technical Program Manager to ensure that your delivery plan items integrate appropriately into larger programme plans.
- Operational excellence within the team including triaging support issues, the incident management process and ensuring/monitoring uptime of services.
- Broader partnership with Product, Services, or Brand Management team members as supported by your Squad and Tribe Leaders if appropriate.
- Up to 10% of available time participating in Cross-Team Engineering Rituals, including:
- Providing work delivery progress and participating in the weekly critical project review meeting.
- Providing operational metrics data (e.g. via dashboards) and participating in a (future) regularly scheduled operational excellence review meeting.
- Multi-pod, Tribe Leadership meetings which may be required (e.g. Scrum-of-Scrums, Goal / Resource / Budget Planning, etc.)
- Up to 15% of available time for Line Management of people in your Pod, including:
- Regular 1:1’s, holiday approvals, and expense approvals for your team.
- Responsibility for the full employee life-cycle of direct reports including interviews, input into the performance review process, personal and professional development, role changes, etc.
Responsibilities of all Team Leads at Masabi
- Seek to understand and learn Masabi’s vision and your team’s part in it. Remember, our vision and strategy is evolving - stay fresh and make plans to achieve them.
- Know your people, care deeply for them and plan for their futures.
- Curate an open environment. Share problems, listen to solutions and create space for others to flourish.
- Celebrate your team's successes, but also discuss openly and without fault your failures, as this is when we learn the most.
- Remove ambiguity by sourcing and sharing information - default to open, default to transparent.
- Continuously reflect on what can be improved. Work to be the best team you can be and ensure you are set up for success.
- You are accountable for your team's commitments. Plan, protect, prioritise and communicate, creating success as you go.
- Maintain a high level of business awareness to help solve business problems and meet customer needs. Customer success is critical.
- Your team members will move on and so will you. Share knowledge, share responsibility and create space for others to lead.
- You are our best example of what “great” looks like. Act.
We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view, striving to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. Whoever you are, just be yourself. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply and we don’t discriminate. Also, please notify our team of any preferred pronouns at any point in your application.
In light of the continued Covid-19 risks, all interviews are expected to take place by phone or video.
Masabi’s flexible working policy will allow you to work fully remotely from Europe, or from one of our offices in London, Cluj, New York, Denver or Boston. The choice about where you work from will be largely made by you. Regardless of where you choose to work from, you will be allowed to work outside of the country of your employment for up to 3 months each year (tax laws permitting).