Nascent is a team of builders who back early-stage web3 founders creating products and primitives for an open financial world. Founded in 2020, we've invested in 50+ early-stage teams
that we believe have the potential to create substantive change, expand boundaries and find new horizons. Building from a base of permanent capital, we also deploy a sizable liquid portfolio utilizing a range of strategies that ensure we are among the most active users of the open financial system we are helping to build. The fluid structure that enables our team to build, use, and invest in the future of crypto makes Nascent both an ideal early-stage partner and long-term ally.
As a Data Engineer at Nascent, you'll play a critical role in building and maintaining our data infrastructure and pipelines across our liquid and investing activities. This includes designing and building ETLs, optimizing research and transaction infrastructure, and implementing APIs for data querying and access. Reporting directly to the Data Engineering Lead you'll support the strategy and execution of data acquisition to enable internal research and externally facing data projects. You'll serve as a key partner across the organization, delivering internal data projects such as dashboarding and visualizations to improve investing performance.
The ideal candidate will have experience in designing and building data pipelines and APIs, with a strong foundation in data modeling, database design, and query optimization. Think data engineer with a software engineering lens, you can design and build software beyond data pipelines (you know the difference). You'll have a passion for working with large datasets and a desire to leverage data to drive business insights and support decision-making. As a fast-moving crypto-native firm, we have a lot of activities and both ingest and create a lot of data—working closely with our Data Engineering Lead you will execute high impact work across data-related activities for the firm. This is a full time fully remote position with preference for EST working hours.
- You thrive in less structured environments and are at your best when driving and delivering results with the freedom to build and execute your own plan.
- You are as excited by starting a project as completing, maintaining, and continually optimizing it.
- You find the plethora of opportunities to leverage data to drive value for the firm exciting versus overwhelming
- Building and managing data pipelines on bare metal outside of pure cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.)
- Hands-on experience from beginning to end of a shipped working product (i.e., you’re an experienced builder)
- Substantive experience building and maintaining enterprise data systems, ETL frameworks, & pipelines
- Excellent Python and SQL skills
- Familiarity with APIs (REST, Websockets, etc)
- Experience beyond testing (e.g. quality processes, verification & validation)
- Experience in configuring and managing cloud infrastructure (preferred AWS)
Our Team & Culture
At Nascent, we are an interdisciplinary team of investors, builders & creators, capable of achieving more together than we can as individuals. We offer the opportunity to contribute to building the future global economic system with a world-class team and culture that pairs the freedom to explore, experiment & play with a competitive drive to win. We invest in our people by providing the autonomy to build, coupled with accountability & honest feedback to help learn, grow, perform & win. We’re a fully distributed team that understands the value of in-person time—we host two team retreats per year and encourage team members to come together for more frequent in-person work.
Principles that drive our team & work
- Build for the long term
- Align incentives
- Be nimble
- Compete to win
- Explore, experiment, play
- Always be building
- Give and embrace real feedback
What We Offer
At Nascent, we offer a competitive total compensation package heavily weighted toward bonus, ensuring that when we perform at our best and the firm wins we all win.
- The opportunity to learn, experiment and build in an entrepreneurial environment
- Remote and distributed working environment
- Comprehensive health benefits package including dental, vision, and life
- Generous paid parental leave & supported return to work
- Home Office, coworking space and wellness stipend
- Retirement plan matching contributions
- Open vacation policy as well as flexible work hours and location
- Access to our internal performance coaching, technical experts and support for continuing your skill development and growth
- Team activities and bi-annual in-person team retreats
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity and differences of perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status, inclusive of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.