Staff Software Engineer, Fleet Services
Equinix is the world’s digital infrastructure company, operating 240+ data centers across the globe and providing interconnections to all the key clouds and networks. Businesses need one place to simplify and bring together fragmented, complex infrastructure that spans private and public cloud environments. With Equinix Metal, customers can rapidly deploy automated single-tenant infrastructure and interact with 2,100 networks and 3,000+ cloud and service providers. Our global platform allows customers to place infrastructure wherever they need it and connect it to everything they need to succeed.
At Equinix, we help the world’s digital leaders scale with agility, speed the launch of digital services, deliver world-class experiences, and transform people’s lives. Our culture is based on collaboration and the growth and development of our teams.
We hire hardworking people who thrive on solving challenging problems and give them opportunities to hone new skills, and try new approaches, as we grow our product portfolio with new software and network architecture solutions. We embrace diversity in thought and contribution and are committed to providing an equitable work environment that is foundational to our core values as a company and is vital to our success.
Equinix Metal, a leading bare metal cloud provider, is looking to grow our software engineering team! If you are an experienced software engineer and looking to help build out services that will affect how the next generation of infrastructure and hardware is delivered to the world, join our team!
This role is remote.
This position is in the fleet services engineering team providing all of the services needed to inventory, control, provision and maintain Equinix Metal’s bare metal cloud hardware. The successful candidate will contribute in the areas of hardware, data center and operating system automation. You should have a passion for solving difficult problems related to servers at data center scale. On a daily basis you will:
- Live and breath the developer experience with the platform
- Deal with ambiguity and drive to the heart of problems
- Approach every day with a self-starter attitude and seek solutions
- Validate new hardware and firmware configurations
- Collaboratively write RFC’s / blueprints that establish our architecture
- Help drive software design and improve our system architecture
- Participate in on-call rotation to support your team's software in production
- Deeply care about technology, our craft and team success
- Work across teams and become familiar quickly with a variety of codebases
- Ability to communicate clearly with all stakeholders
- Experience with a wide variety of server hardware
- Experience with data center environments and remote management
- Experience with Linux and troubleshooting both hardware and kernel issues
- Ability to debug issues with hardware and firmware / root cause analysis
- Golang or similar programming language fluency
- Knowledge of containerized environments using Docker, Kubernetes or other
- Knowledge of modern CI technologies (ex. Buildkite / Jenkins)
- Experience with git and github workflows
- Code samples may be requested
- A desire to learn
- At least five years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar
- Experience with Equinix Metal / Packet products
- Deep knowledge debugging operating system operation and configuration
- Datacenter technology experience and ability to work on remote systems
- Networking knowledge and the ability to debug networking issues
- Available for weekly on-call rotation
- Ability to document work