Senior Software Engineer (Rails Focused)
Remote (overlap with EST working hours required)*
Impactive (formerly Outvote), backed by YCombinator and Higher Ground Labs, was founded in 2017 as a get-out-the-vote tool for Democrats. The Impactive product has since expanded to become an all-in-one hub for digital organizing, powering the organizing efforts of some of the country’s largest progressive organizations.
In the 2018 midterms, volunteers contacted over 1 million voters using Impactive. In 2020, we scaled significantly to meet the demand of this unprecedented election cycle. We’ve worked with over 500 clients nationwide, and volunteers have sent over 150 million text messages on behalf of Planned Parenthood, the DCCC, SEIU, Community Change, When We All Vote, Greenpeace, and campaigns up and down the ballot. Our work has been featured in The New York Times, Washington Post, TechCrunch, Fast Company, and many more.
In 2021, Impactive will expand its platform further into nonprofit, advocacy, and additional markets. This will be an exciting time to play a critical role in helping shape the direction for what's coming next. We will continue to prioritize our progressive values while building a feature-rich platform that will broaden our reach across the impact space.
About the Role
Impactive’s Senior Software Engineer (Rails Focused) will be responsible for owning and maintaining the entire Impactive backend. They will write code and contribute to the development process, collaborating with the CTO, Lead Engineer, and other employees and contractors on everything from planning technical requirements and design to testing and implementation.
- Plan technical solutions. Outline the implementation details from product specification documents given the current state of the Rails stack and performance and security implications.
- Implement new features. Work with Impactive’s Head of Product, Lead Engineer, and CTO on the development process: taking off Github issues ready for development, putting in a pull request, handing off for staging deployment, QA, and ultimately production deployment.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting. Innovate solutions for client tickets and assist in the bug fixing process.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- At least five years of experience working in a consumer-facing production environment.
- At least five years of experience working with Ruby on Rails + Sidekiq + RSpec.
- Optional experience working with Ruby and Rails application profiling and performance, Rails application security, Go, Elasticsearch, AWS, Datadog, Github, React, React Native, Redis, Heroku, or New Relic.
- Passionate about politics and activism, social impact and responsibility, and volunteering and fundraising for social good.
We don’t expect individual candidates to have expertise across all of these areas—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and are excited to learn in others.
We eagerly accept applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Impactive is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate our employees’ differences, and know that differences — of all kinds — make us infinitely stronger.
Compensation and Work Environment
- Salary: $120,000-$170,000 depending on experience
- Equity: 0.1-0.25%
- 90-100% of medical and dental insurance premiums paid
- Quarterly revenue sharing bonus program
- 401k plan
- Unlimited PTO with minimum of three weeks off per year
- Paid parental leave, ranging from 10 weeks at start of employment to 16 weeks for longer-tenured employees
- Live and work from anywhere, with flexible hours
- $500 work-from-home equipment stipend at start of employment
- $500 per quarter professional development stipend
- $750 per year charitable contribution matching
- Work with an inspiring and dedicated team of passionate activists and organizers
* Note that candidates outside of the U.S. would be hired as full-time contractors without medical/dental insurance and 401k.