WHO WE ARE
The Humane League (THL) is a global nonprofit ending the abuse of animals raised for food. THL fosters a high-energy culture of teamwork and mission-driven problem solving, and we have earned recognition as a Top Charity from Animal Charity Evaluators for all of their rating periods. Over the past few years, we’ve grown to a staff of 90+ talented individuals dispersed across the US and around the world.
The Humane League is seeking two experienced web developers with a real desire to do meaningful work coupled with a passion for building modern web applications. We are interested in candidates with front-end or full-stack expertise. The ideal candidates will have flexibility in the technologies and frameworks with which they work. We are small but nimble, and the ability to communicate effectively, collaborate positively, and think creatively is a must.
We especially want you if you have a hunger to push the creative and technical boundaries of modern web development to produce highly creative, one-of-a-kind frontend interactive experiences featuring HTML/CSS-based animations and other technologies. We also want you if you have an obsession with reusable, modular programming practices for rapid prototyping and deployment.
We are looking for a team player who can work independently and communicate effectively, and who is always ready to think through and collaborate on tough but rewarding challenges in a remote environment.
This is a full-time, remote position, reporting to the Director of Digital Products. This position requires occasional domestic travel equivalent to approximately 2–5 trips per year. We are only able to consider applicants who reside in the United States and possess United States work authorization.
- Build, deploy, and maintain modern websites and web applications while meeting content and design specifications
- Utilize tried and true design systems and approaches to quickly bootstrap MVPs and boilerplates
- Work collaboratively with our designers to help bring “static” visuals to life in ways that create compelling, interactive experiences optimized for accessibility and conversion
- Draw on UX/UI skill set to interpret responsive states from static designs, and execute layouts that perform seamlessly and provide quality end-user experiences across all modern devices and screen sizes
- Test and implement new technologies when reasonable and where useful
- Utilize unit- and end-to-end testing, following test-driven development practices to create stable, maintainable, and well-documented web applications
- Effectively explain technical concepts to peers and management in a positive, friendly manner
- Maintain and troubleshoot projects using popular CMSs, single-page applications, and static site generators such as Contentful, Strapi, React, Gatsby, and Ruby on Rails
- Collaborate with other developers using version control (Git and Github)
- Stay up-to-date on latest technological developments and how organizations can use them to improve performance, and draw on this base of knowledge to address organizational challenges.
- At least 2 years of professional web development experience
- Deep comfort with React, Angular, or Vue, and experience with at least one of the following frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Django, Laravel
- Experience with build tools such as Webpack, Gulp, Yarn, and NPM
- Understanding of version control and common git workflows such as Gitflow
- Project management: Flexible and able to balance multiple projects and tasks to deliver quality, timely work in an independent and remote work environment. Have strong planning and organization skills.
- Self-motivation: Able and willing to work independently and take initiative in pursuing goals and setting a schedule given only general directives.
- Problem solving: Anticipate needs, actively seek opportunities, and propose solutions with strong decision-making capability. Willing to solve problems proactively, with little guidance.
- Teamwork: Enjoy working on a small, highly collaborative scrum team that is mission-driven, results-driven, and community-oriented. Must also be extremely effective independently and display dedication to the work and role.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to write and speak clearly and effectively. Able to communicate with peers, project stakeholders, and product support teams in a friendly, welcoming manner, especially when introducing new processes or explaining difficult concepts.
- Working knowledge of at least one of the following: Ruby, Python, PHP
- Familiarity with administering static sites and single-page applications in modern hosting environments such as Netlify, AWS, and Heroku
- Experience with A/B testing
- User interface design expertise
- Experience working with RESTful APIs
- Experience with web analytics tools such as Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, and Facebook Pixel
Starting salary $66,555 or salary commensurate with experience.
Employees enjoy full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, optional pet insurance, working from home, up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for eligible employees, paid holidays, paid sick leave, flexible vacation time, professional development, and the supportive environment at The Humane League!
At The Humane League (THL), animal welfare is at the forefront of our everyday work. As such, many of our staff are vegan by personal choice, and all of our THL-hosted events offer fully vegan menus. We welcome all mission-aligned candidates to apply, no matter where you are in your journey to end the abuse of animals raised for food.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Humane League is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email People Operations ([email protected]
) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.