Upright Labs, the leader in multi-channel inventory management for second-hand retail, is searching for an Engineering Manager to join our customer-focused Product Team. As engineering manager, you’ll oversee our agile team, plan and execute on sprints, and even contribute code from time to time.
About Upright Labs
We make it really easy for second-hand retailers to manage inventory and sell online, everywhere. Our software processes thousands of items each month and has helped retailers sell millions in inventory. We work with a lot of second hand goods retailers including Goodwill and Salvation Army. Our software powers their e-commerce operations and our code directly impacts their success.
About the Product Team
Our product team is a highly motivated group of professionals that are very passionate about supporting our customers. We are energized to help solve problems, no matter what our title is. Collaboration and feedback are the tools we lean on to drive results, as well as the flexibility to have fun while doing it. The success of our customers is our success at the end of the day, and we do everything we can to empower them!
Our stack is Rails and Sidekiq on the backend with React.js with Typescript on the frontend, backed by a Postgres DB. We run everything on AWS and Heroku, logging with Mezmo, CI with Github Actions, error tracking with Sentry, monitoring with Datadog, and source code on Github.
About the role
The Engineering Manager is responsible for driving product improvements by translating priorities from our VP of Engineering into projects that can be executed in sprints by the other engineers. You’ll work with engineers to analyze the impact of tech debt, and balance related enhancements in with each sprint. In addition to regularly contributing code to stay familiar with the codebase (probably around 15% of your time), you’ll also work with teammates to help unblock tasks and help facilitate professional development for each team member.
More responsibilities include:
- Manage engineers and conduct one-on-ones
- Coordinate mobile app releases (the companion to our flagship web app)
- Help out with overall team operations and continue fostering a great team culture
- Based between PT and ET timezones, in the US or Canada
- 2-5 years of full-stack engineering experience
- 1-3 years of management experience
- You have strong opinions, weakly held. You're not afraid to standup for what you believe in but are empathetic and open to change.
- Ready to dive in to learn all the intricacies of our platform at the start, but also willing to take a step back from deeper development to help manage and grow the team.
- Proven track record of project management skills
- Great written and verbal communication skills (especially important for remote work!)
- Operates well in a collaborative, feedback-driven environment
- Bonus: Experience with Ruby on Rails, iOS/Swift, and ReactJS
- Mission driven company where positive impact is tangible
- 100% remote forever
- Competitive compensation
- Health/dental/vision insurance
- 401k match
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Annual company retreats
- Office equipment stipend to get your home office set up the way you like it
- Hot-desk stipend if you prefer working out of co-working spaces
- Continuing education budget so you can keep learning outside of your day to day job
- Work with an exciting and growing company with plenty of opportunities for collaboration and career-defining tasks