Blackpanda is Asia’s premier incident response firm, helping businesses of all sizes in the APAC region protect against cyber risks, and be there to help if a breach occurs.
Technology is at the heart of what Blackpanda does, and is looking for an engineering leader who thrives on being able to code daily, and is excited by the opportunity to lead a tight-knit, diverse technology team building class-leading architecture and products.
Blackpanda is at an exciting stage, envisioning what cyber risk protection can look like in the APAC region, and you will be building that future. This role suits someone who is excited by the prospect of building applications, architecture and products from the ground up with the most appropriate technologies available today. A background in cyber security is a plus, but not required. However, an excellent grasp of building secure web-based applications and/or ETL pipelines is expected.
You will be led by the Head of Engineering and CTO and expected to be able to synthesize a business problem into an engineered solution. Blackpanda is building a cross-functional
engineering team where all members should be excited by the prospect of solving problems first through planning and dialogue, and only after this moving to code.
At a high level, experience with building ETL pipelines is a big advantage, although not absolutely required. The ability to learn new processes and plan new system architecture from high level requirements is a must. An existing solid understanding of RESTful and / or GraphQL-based API architecture and best practices - especially with regards to security is very important.
What you will be working on
- You will be a leading developer across at least one of three products being built across the next 12 months, spanning three different technology verticals. Blackpanda is building exciting technology both for internal use and for external-facing customer engagement.
- Communicating with business stakeholders from time to time to help advise on strategy, according to the likely difficulty of solving the technology challenge.
- Engage with code review of your peers, especially more junior developers.
- Have the opportunity to lead engineering initiatives / discovery to ascertain the best path forwards before diving into writing production code.
- Shipping robust, maintainable, tested code - often! You will see your work used by thousands of customers within a short period of time.
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role
- At least 5 years working as part of a software development team, shipping production-ready code and used by a large number of users.
- Natural curiosity and you thrive on learning new things
- Value balance in your life and know when to call it a day so that you come back fresh the next morning with class-leading solutions. We do not promote sloppy code and as such, we guard against overworked, tired developers, but you must also be good at managing your own time to achieve this.
- Passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with your engineering peers.
- Prioritize test-driven, elegant solutions that are maintainable, aided by appropriate terse or detailed documentation, whichever makes the most sense per case.
- Work closely with the Head of Engineering to evaluate platforms - test driving an API or working methodically through the documentation to understand if it will solve the business need.
- Comfortable presenting to a group over video calls periodically, describing how a solution was arrived at, and how it works in layman terms.
Technical experience / knowledge
- At least 5 years working in a professional capacity as a software engineer / hands-on engineering manager. This should not include any years of study, or pure ‘hobby project’ time.
- You have lead the development of, or significantly contributed to products that are used daily either by customers or internal teams and form a critical function of the organization / primary revenue stream
- Extremely proficient in at least one commonly used back-end language (e.g. Python, Rust, Node, Go), or;
- Familiar with at least one containerized deployment platform, such as Google Cloud Run, Amazon ECS and / or directly with K8s
- Experience designing scalable database schemas and approaches, such as queues, background workers (Redis) etc.
- Strong knowledge and current use of test suites / frameworks for your primary language
- Experience using and maintaining CI/CD pipeline infrastructure. Minimal-maintenance such as Github actions experience is a plus.
- Experience with data transformation and availability of data to non-technical stakeholders via a Datalake/warehouse/lakehouse e.g. Databricks is an advantage.
- ‘Full-stack’ welcome, but please be clear in your application which is your back-end strong suit and preferred daily language / framework
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or a clear history of programming in a team-based, professional capacity for the stated experience years (5+)
- Business fluent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Can be based anywhere in the world, but must be able to work Monday to Friday for at least six hours between 0900 to 1800 SGT/HKT and be able to legally work in your chosen location (Blackpanda is not able to sponsor a work permit)
- Conversational fluency and higher in any Asian language is a major plus
Blackpanda offers to all team members
- Top of market base pay system for position and locality every year
- Equity awards available based on performance
- Generous annual leave, including all Hong Kong and Singapore public holidays
- No-meeting Fridays
- Attractive self-learning financial allowance per year
- Team meetups in your region, and with the wider global Blackpanda tribe (COVID travel restrictions permitting)
Blackpanda is committed to building a culturally diverse company, and we value a broad set of opinions in our team. As we grow, we are looking to build a team with a range of viewpoints at its core, and we encourage applications from all genders as you identify (X/F/M) and minority candidates.
All application emails to be sent to [email protected]
, and should have the subject: Attn CTO: Senior Developer application
Applications sent to any other email will be discarded (this includes sending to multiple Blackpanda email addresses - only send to [email protected]
We regret that we cannot respond to every single applicant, but will reply within one week from application to those we are taking forward to interview. Thank you for your understanding due to the volume of applicants.