As a Senior Engineer at BiggerPockets, you will help drive the business forward by writing great software, evolve the Engineering team through mentoring and continuous improvement of our processes and toolchain, and help define the technology and product strategy.
Product Engineers at BiggerPockets spend their time building software that allows our users to achieve their goals, owning the design and development of projects from start to finish. They write clean, pragmatic code, and also offer input throughout the product development process, knowing how best to apply technology to the right business problems. And they work hard to make everyone else around them better, taking an interest in the growth of the team and the people on it.
This is a team lead role that will be accountable for the direction and delivery of an important part of our product.
Some examples of things that will occupy your day-to-day:
- Building a brand new feature or product, working across the entire stack from frontend to backend
- Refactoring a legacy component or system, or improving its performance
- Collaborating on high-level architecture for a solution to be implemented
- Selecting a new framework, library, platform, or other technology
- Turning a mockup into a working product that communicates with a REST API
- Conducting reviews of code written by other engineers
- Running informal internal workshops to educate on best practices
The BiggerPockets Stack
We run a Ruby on Rails (6!) monolith with a React and Stimulus frontend. On the backend, we use PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis. We use a lot of background processing through Sidekiq. This is all running on the Heroku platform where we release continuously, throughout the day, using CircleCI and monitoring with Datadog.
We love testing (RSpec is our framework of choice) and we employ a lot of static analysis (Rubocop, ESLint) to help us write the best code we can.
But most importantly, product engineers at BiggerPockets love to learn more about the business, and our customers. We do this using tools like Segment, Amplitude, and good old fashioned talking to users.
Internally, most of our communication and project logistics happens in Slack, GitHub, Zoom, and Jira. We’re a remote-friendly team with people from the US and Europe.
You can learn a little more about how we work and the history of Engineering at the company in some recent appearances on the Heroku blog
- 6+ years experience in software development with Ruby and Ruby on Rails (and a love for the language!)
- Expertise with front-end web technologies
- Experience with RDMSs, database design, and experience with in-memory data stores like Redis
- Experience designing and building great REST APIs
- A strong product development mindset, understanding of product design, and business intelligence
- Very strong systems design skills
The salary range for this full-time position is $110,000-$130,000+
based on experience, plus a 10% bonus potential based on company and personal performance.
This full-time, 100% in-house
role is open to candidates in the USA or UK only. Feel free to email [email protected]
if you have any questions about the role.