Coursedog is a Series A stage Y Combinator & First Round Capital-backed startup building software that powers Higher Education. Today, we partner with 80 universities such as Columbia University, Stanford University & City University of New York to break down barriers in curriculum management. We help campuses save time, grow enrollment and accelerate time to graduate.
We are looking for a Backend Node.JS Engineer to join the Coursedog engineering team. The ideal candidate will be a proven technologist, passionate about software engineering, and have deep technical understanding of technologies such as Node.js. The position will be responsible for our backend services, infrastructure, and databases, and is also likely to touch the frontend quite a bit as well.
As a company, we value diversity and inclusion. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
What You Will Do:
- Use Node.js, MongoDB, and other BE tools to design and implement the underlying application logic and database structure powering our APIs.
- Improving our AWS infrastructure and overall application performance
- Work closely with other developers and infrastructure engineers to analyze and design the application architecture, and implement the functional requirements.
- Understand the needs of our clients to develop and improve the end-user experience.
- Collaborate with product managers to develop and enhance our products according to our product roadmap and business strategy
- Nice to have: familiarity with frontend frameworks such as Vue.JS
- Naturally curious and willing to step into the user’s shoes
- 5+ years of backend experience
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Deep technical knowledge and expertise in BE technologies and tools (Node.js, Express, MongoDB)
- Demonstrated experience with designing REST APIs, building SPA and Git version control
- Experience with building complicated, enterprise-level systems
- Experience with unit and e2e testing
- Owners mentality
- Comfortable with working in a fully remote team
Bonus Points for Any of These Skills:
- 5+ years of development experience for web applications, especially in b2b saas
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working for a high-growth start-up
- Big + for experience in higher education
- Flexible work hours - we have no weekly hour minimums or specified work times. Work whenever you want to, at a pace and time of day that you prefer.
- Expectations of time off - we push all team members to take off at least 17 days per year. However, this is entirely your choice, and time off can be taken whenever you want/need it.
- Remote-first company - We believe remote work is an approach to work, not just working from home; and spend much of our energy on fostering trust and psychological safety in our digital space.
- Lots of other benefits