Fearless is looking for a Software Engineer II to add to our diverse team of 250+ employees (and counting!).
What you’ll be doing:
Purpose-driven software engineers can make the greatest impact through government contracting, while enjoying great benefits, fun cultures, and stable jobs. Learn more about this, plus tips for finding your dream job and principles for responsible government engineering.
The Software Engineer II at Fearless develops, maintains, and enhances complex software systems that solve customer and user problems. This role brings breadth across software development skills and depth in specific technologies like languages and frameworks that allows them to build effective software solutions. The Software Engineer II shares in the responsibility with other software engineers and team members to deliver maintainable solutions.
We are looking for a mid-level Software Engineer to join the GTM/EX (The Bureau of Global Talent Management’s Executive Office) project team. This team is tasked with providing technical expertise to deliver software application development; software application deployment, configuration, & implementation; software application training documentation; and software maintenance support for GTM. We prefer applicants who have an Active Secret Clearance.
A team member in this role, will be successful if they are proficient with:
- Third-party libraries such as React Js, Angular, jQuery
- Development languages such as .NET, Java and/or Python
- MVT frameworks like Django
- Database and cache systems such as SQLServer, Oracle, MongoDB, Postgres and/or MySQL
- Experience in AWS and Azure DevOps, Git management system (GitHub, GitLab, etc.), automated API testing (Postman)
We need your coding skills! but we're also excited about candidates that:
Responsibilities and Contributions
Organizational and Leadership Role
- Takes initiative for their own growth through personal leadership.
- Decomposes tasks into discrete objectives to serve the strategic direction of the team.
- Builds software solutions with minimal direction in the form of maintainable code in accordance with the project/organization technical standards.
- Delivers complete software solutions that function well within the full system including documentation and automated unit/integration tests.
- Debugs existing software and corrects defects.
- Performs manual exploratory testing individually and with the team, as appropriate for the project test strategy.
- Advises the team on specific implementation options that meet business requirements.
- Contributes actively in team Agile processes through collaboration, discussion, and/or preparation.
- Provides feedback to improve the team’s technical procedures.
- Collaborates with other Engineers and Designers to implement features that meet design specifications and deliver business value.
- Contributes during all phases of the development lifecycle from task creation to production deployment of new code.
- Seeks and engages in code reviews and peer-reviews of tasks and deliverables.
Essential Skills, Experience, or Competencies
In addition to the Must-Have Skills noted above we are also looking for applicants who:
- Experience with building applications in containerized development environments.
- Expert in basic git actions like cloning, creating branches, navigating between branches, staging code for commit, committing code, resetting, and merging.
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to learn new systems and technology quickly.
- Ability to discuss technical tasks and team process topics with team members and outside stakeholders.
- Proficiency with advanced Git actions like rebasing, squashing, and cherry-picking.
- Ability to operate and manage work, strategically reason, and build relationships and influence others.
- BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or similar technology-related degree.
- Proficient in more than one programming language like Node.js, Python, Go, Java 8+, Ruby, etc.
- Understanding of Agile principles.
- Experience implementing applications for execution in a containerized production environment; for example Docker in a container orchestration platform like Amazon ECS or Kubernetes.
- Experience developing applications hosted with a cloud provider such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, or similar IaaS/PaaS providers.
- Experience with test scripting frameworks like Selenium and Cypress.js.
- Holds a current CompTIA Security+ certification.
At Fearless, we believe in sharing knowledge, fresh perspectives, and unique interests as individuals and as a company, so we’re also interested to know what makes you tick. We want to know where your interests and passions lie so we can all grow together.
What Else You Should Know Compensation and Benefits:
Our people make us who we are. We believe that every member of the Fearless team has something to share, and we value the unique viewpoint you’ll bring to our community. But we value your
community, too, so we offer fulfilling work that stays in balance with the rest of life. Because everyone has different needs, desires, and goals, our benefits offer the choices and flexibility that our team members need to live well and succeed. Here are a few highlights of our benefits package
- Flexible schedule
- Family-friendly workplace
- 14 days of PTO allowance (not accrued so you get it up front!) PTO + 8.75 days sick leave + 11 federal holidays + your birthday off!
- 100% coverage of the employee-only premium for HSA, HMO, or PPO plan and Employee Wellness Plan
- Tech, education / training, and snack allowances
- Free parking in downtown Baltimore / public transit coverage
- Safe Harbor 401(k) plan with employer contributions and immediate vesting
- In-person, hybrid, and remote options are available. Our offices are located in Baltimore and Montgomery.
- All new employees must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered for the position. Reasonable accommodations for qualified exemption requests will be considered.
Our Compensation System is designed to reward remarkable work, grow your impact and support the whole “you” over the course of your career.
We believe in paying people fairly, so we've established a compensation model aimed to ensure everyone at Fearless — regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age, nationality, or negotiation skills — is given equal pay for equal work.
Our approach to compensation is intended to ensure our total package serves all of your needs and includes base pay, medical and other benefits, performance rewards, 401k matching, plus a few perks (tech and wellness reimbursement programs)!
Our salary ranges are determined based on role, level and location and provide team members salary growth within a salary grade over time. Team members automatically progress within a salary range through annual increases (given to reward service at Fearless) or merit increases (given to reward and individual's demonstrated performance and growth within the position). Fearless team members are also eligible for discretionary bonuses based on company performance.
The salary ranges for this position based on location are listed below. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified as a part of our annual salary range review.
- AL, FL, GA, TN Residents: $90,015 (min) - $117,019 (mid) - $144,024 (max)
- NC Residents: $92,799 (min) - $120,639 (mid) - $148,478 (max)
- DE, MD, PA, TX, VA Residents: $97,439 (min) - $126,671 (mid) - $155,902 (max)
- MA Residents: $103,007 (min) - $133,909 (mid) - $164,811 (max)
- DC Residents: $109,503 (min) - $142,354 (mid) - $175,204 (max)
- CA & NY Residents: $113,215 (min) - $147,179 (mid) - $181,143 (max)
Within the range, starting pay for team members is based on the evaluation of the alignment with the position description requirements including job-related skills and experience or training. This range reflects your earning potential over the course of your career at Fearless in this position.
So, what’s next?
Over the years, we’ve honed a 3-step interview process that helps ensure that every employee we hire is the right fit for us and that we’re the right fit for them. If we think you’re a good fit, we’ll get in touch and start scheduling your interviews!
- Culture Ad Interview - We’re a people-first company, so we always start off by getting to know more about you, how you work, what your career goals are, and what you’re passionate about. This is your opportunity to ask questions and get a feel for Fearless, so don’t be shy!
- Technical Interview - This is where we get into the nitty gritty of the project. During the Technical Interview, you’ll be interviewed by the team’s Project Lead or Functional Lead to make sure your skills align with the project requirements.
- Business Interview - At this point, you’ve made it to the final frontier! The Business Interview is when you’ll meet with Fearless leadership to dot the i’s, cross the t’s, and determine whether or not we’ll be moving forward with the hiring process.