As a Senior Quick Reaction Force (QRF) Engineer at Inventory Planner, you will be working on jumping in front of any problems that would otherwise interrupt the main engineering team.
You are expected to have two distinct and critical operating modes: Reaction and Standby.
During “Reaction”, the QRF team is actively firefighting — solving some urgent, interruptive issue as the first line of defense against interruptions and supporting the other team by allowing it to focus.
During “Standby” you’ll be working on preventative items or things that help you react faster. These could be internal tools, improved monitoring / alerting, quality-of-life improvements, automation, or improved observability in logs or audits. You should strive not just to react to solve the instance of a problem but to avoid the entire class of problems from ever reaching engineering in the first place.
These will cover a broad class of problems from eCommerce integrations and data ingestion to metrics processing and user-facing features.
- Produce well documented, tested and readable code.
- Be comfortable exploring and evaluating new approaches and technologies, their appropriateness for our needs and adoption into our stack.
- Contribute to scaling up your systems and data processing pipelines as we grow our customer base, and our customers grow their data sets.
- Actively participate during incident reviews and look for improvements.
- Prioritise and triage your workload regularly to ensure it is well managed.
- Be comfortable exploring, analysing and communicating data to other functions inside and outside the organisation.
- Take strong ownership of assigned customer issues until handed off or resolved.
- Be comfortable communicating with your engineering colleagues around work tasks via Slack, email and audio calls.
- Actively seek to understand the business’s annual and quarterly strategic priorities.
- Develop and maintain a good level of relevant industry and market expertise.
- Help shape and develop company culture by:
- Working in an open and transparent manner.
- Collaborating with other team members towards shared goals.
- Maintain a continuous learning mindset.
- Availability from Monday to Friday during business working hours assigned by the company.
- Available for on-call emergencies as and when required.
- High-speed, reliable Internet connection.
- Fluent English speaker.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Location: Remote within the Europe, Middle-East, Africa timezones.
- Senior-level PHP experience.
- Web framework and object-oriented database experience a plus. (We use VueJS and MongoDB respectively.)
Why Work For Us
Great people: You’ll join a collaborative team where your work will be supported and recognized.
Interesting product: We’re dedicated to building innovative solutions for our customers.
Remote culture: We support our team’s ability to be successful at work while balancing life outside the workplace.
Our Engineering Processes
We’re at a fascinating inflection point as our team evolves from a small founder-led team to a growing and maturing functional group within a larger company. We have a product that is stable, but with plenty of areas to innovate on and scaling challenges to wrestle with due to growth.
Our fully remote engineers have lots of space to experiment and autonomy to shape their week with a focus on getting the outcomes we agree without micromanagement and meeting hell.
Our Hiring Process
Our process is designed to be light-weight in the early stages but comprehensive enough for you to figure out if you want to work with us and for us to ensure you’ll rise to the challenges we have to face together!
- Screening call (10 minutes)
- First interview with Head of Engineering
- Test/project (typically a few hours of own work solving an interesting problem on your own timeline)
- Second interview with CTO and Head of Engineering to review project
- Job offer