Back End (Elixir) Developer
Instinct Science is a growing Philadelphia-based animal health company working on a unique technology solution for state-of-the-art veterinary hospitals. We are gaining rapid traction and seeking a developer who is looking for a new career opportunity.
The Instinct team consists of veterinary and technology professionals who offer years of experience developing and commercializing point-of-care software for the veterinary industry. We encourage a diverse, inclusive, supportive, fun work environment. As a distributed team, we value teammates with strong communication and organizational skills.
The ideal candidate is efficient, thoughtful, detail-oriented, and motivated by working on challenging yet meaningful work that has the potential to shape the entire profession. Your geographic location isn’t important as long as you can overlap with our regular business hours (Mon-Fri 8-5 ET).
You Will Work On:
You will create and maintain integrations with our third parties, develop our internal tools and be instrumental in shaping our data models. Your contributions and leadership will greatly influence the usability and usefulness of the product. Day-to-day work will consist of building new features, troubleshooting bugs, planning future dev work, reviewing teammate’s PRs, and taking ownership for our growing back end architecture. You will be part of a close-knit team that is working hard for a better product each day.
We’re Looking for Someone With:
* At least 3 years of experience building back end applications
* Deep knowledge of API design
* A high bar for code quality
* Ability to think through challenges and develop features that solve them elegantly
* Ability to challenge and improve our current architecture
* Excitement for building critical integrations for veterinary hospitals
* Previous remote engineer position, preferably as part of a small team
* Previous work on medical or medical records, veterinary, and/or financial software
* Knowledge of HL7
Technology Used at Instinct:
* React, Apollo, Electron
* Cypress, Jest, React Testing Library
* Elixir, Phoenix, Absinthe, Docker
* PostgreSQL, Redis
* AWS, CircleCI
* Papertrail, Sentry, Prometheus, Grafana
* Github, Jira, Slack
What It's Like to Work at Instinct:
As a distributed organization, the Instinct team strives to maintain strong communication, organization, and personal connections. We hold a mutual desire to build a company that reflects our care for every individual in our team. We treat each member well by going out of our way to help one another in the short-term and pushing for growth in the long-term. We also value transparency both internally and with our partners so everyone is informed and excited about every challenge and success.