Redesign Health is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer – we recruit, train, compensate and promote our team members based on qualifications. We know how important it is not only to include, but to actively seek out a diversity of opinions and voices.
We want to hear from you regardless of your race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
is a company that powers innovation in healthcare. We develop technologies, tools, and insights that lower the barriers to change in healthcare, and provide a platform that enables founders and the broader healthcare ecosystem to build high-quality health solutions at scale. We have powered the launch of 28 companies to-date including Lively
, Vault Health
, and stealth ventures in health equity, kidney care, women’s health, complementary medicine, and many more. We’re on a mission to redesign health for everyone.
As our Machine Learning Scientist, you will be responsible for helping design, implement, prototype, train and evaluate custom ML models used by Redesign Health to help redesign the healthcare industry more optimally. This role is unique in terms of career growth as it combines large-scale ML modeling with high potential impact in an enormous yet inefficient industry. You will be performing cutting-edge research pushing the limits of large language models in order to achieve real-world healthcare impact.
In this role, you will focus more on new model creation and research versus deployment at scale or dataset creation. Some dataset tailoring to tasks at hand is expected. Most ML models will be trained on web-scale data, so knowledge of large-scale ML is a must.
Our machine learning models cover a myriad of NLP tasks that power the insights and investment strategies core to Redesign Health. These include, but are not limited to, text summarization, topic modeling, entity extraction and text classification. They also cover time series analysis and prediction and prediction on graph-structured datasets. Experience in either is very much desired though not essential.
You will report to and work with the VP of Machine Learning. The position can be fully remote within the United States or based out of our New York City headquarters.
What you'll do:
- Experiment with large-scale NLP models, as required by product-features
- Perform research deep dives into approaches used to solve particular NLP tasks that are currently needed. These include both deep learning and more classical approaches
- Communicate the results of the deep dive with the broader team
- Design and prototype the most promising models to see if they can be a game changer for the product feature du jour. Help navigate prototyping strategy with the broader team – e.g. in some cases we can leverage pre-training
- Experiment with large-scale time-series analysis, as required by product-features
- Perform research deep dives into approaches used to solve particular time series prediction tasks that are currently needed. These include both deep learning and more classical approaches
- Communicate the results of the deep dive with the broader team
- Design and prototype the most promising models to see if they can be a game changer for the product feature du jour. Help navigate prototyping strategy with the broader team
- Help design products which are optimally adaptive to user needs out-of-the-box
- A big part of ensuring product fit is to calibrate the deployed models to the specific needs of the user. Help spearhead and research how we can optimally calibrate existing models so that they evolve to become more and more useful with more usage
- Be an integral part of the discussion of how we measure success for deployed ML models
- Help communicate and manage expectations for models currently used by our users
What you'll need:
- 2-4 years of Machine Learning experience
- 2-4 years of Python experience
- Knowledge of one popular deep learning library such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, Sklearn, Pandas, Keras, or Huggingface
- Must have demonstrable outputs which are publicly available: e.g. an accepted ML paper, or a new product/feature that uses ML that you helped build
- Experience in large-scale deep learning; model design, optimization (e.g. learning rate scheduling), hyperparameter tuning etc.
- B.S. in Computer Science; PhD in Machine Learning is a plus
- Technical Skills
- Knowledge of basic probability, linear algebra, calculus and optimization
- Ability to code advanced data structures in Python
- Ability to build a large-language model from scratch in Pytorch or Tensorflow
- Some experience with more classical NLP techniques such as LDA, PoS-tagging, anaphora resolution
- Behavioral Skills
- Collaborates. Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains trust and support of others. Building partnerships and collaborating with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communicates Effectively. Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and the message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions. Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Action Oriented. Readily takes action on challenges, without unnecessary planning. Identifies and seizes new opportunities. Displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times. Steps up to handle tough issues. Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
You will work out of one of the following locations:
- In-office: New York, NY
- Remote: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
What Redesign is all about
Redesign’s mission is to elevate healthcare companies that empower people to live their healthiest lives. To give a sense of what our team is all about, these are the values that guide our work:
- Redesign healthcare - We bring positive change to patients’ lives
- Own the outcome - We do the work to get the job done
- Be trusted partners - We strive to be the teammates and co-founders of choice
- Champion diverse perspectives - We work to unlock our joint potential
- Practice kindness - We aim to build bridges, not walls
- Learn continuously - We focus on constantly growing as individuals and as a team
Why work with us?
We care deeply about your well-being. And we’ve tailored our unique benefits around your wellness. Check out our full range of benefits here
, and a few of our highlighted benefits below:
- Benefits for your physical wellness:
- Full medical, dental, and vision coverage with no monthly contribution for you and your dependents (for all of our plans!)
- Quarterly in-home house cleaning
- $50 a month wellness stipend
- Benefits for your financial wellness:
- 401K match
- Student loan repayment contribution
- Tax preparation services
- Benefits for your mental wellness:
- Unlimited PTO
- An annual 2-week company-wide winter break
- 2 months sabbatical after 4 years
- Reimbursements to Spotify & Headspace
- Benefits for the wellness of parents:
- 16 week full paid parental leave
- Maven Clinic access with $10k lifetime contributions to fertility & adoption services
- Diaper subscription service & summer camp reimbursement program