Senior Infrastructure Engineer
This is a full-time position (40+ hours per week). For employees not located in North America, this will be structured as a B2B contract, paid monthly in USD.
Focal Systems is the industry leader in retail AI solutions. We are a Silicon Valley based startup that has more than doubled in size every year since inception. We are a Deep Learning first company. Our mission is to automate and optimize brick and mortar retail using deep learning computer vision. Focal Systems has been deployed at scale with the top retailers in the world. We are looking for smart, creative and passionate people who want to help build a great and enduring company and deploy Deep Learning to the world!
You’re an English speaking self-starter and enjoy taking ownership. You can effectively manage tasks, projects, and problem-solve. You’re a dynamic engineer who is an effective communicator and enjoys an environment of collaboration. You want to have a big impact and like to push trends in infrastructure.
What you will do
• Design and implement new Large Scale Deep Learning Pipelines to process 1M images/sec with exactly once processing, low compute cost, and 99.9% uptime
• Work with our engineering teams to understand their backend needs and ensure data persists in usable formats for front-end, middleware, diagnostics, and Deep Learning
• Build deployment monitoring tools
• Manage blue/green deployments or canary deployments to ensure smooth launches without downtime
• Create tools to provide transparency/ease of access into the company's rich datasets stored across varying geographic locations and data formats.
What you need to be successful
• 4+ years’ experience in an infrastructure role
• Bachelor's Degree or higher in CS, EE or equivalent
• Excellent programming skills in Python
• Highly experienced with containerization (Docker) and orchestration platforms (Swarm, Kubernetes)
• Great understanding of SQL, KeyValue stores, networking, distributed systems, operating systems, data structures, algorithms, and software engineering practices
• Experience with high-availability operations management, including deployment automation and rollback strategies
• Knowledge of big data systems (Hadoop, Kafka, MR, Spark) is a plus
• Proficient English speaking and writing skills
• Willingness to work a couple hours per day during North American business hours
Why Focal Systems
Strong Values and Mission: We are a tightly-knit team with an ambitious mission and a strong set of core values, which define our approach to business and have successfully guided us since inception.
Exceptional Team: We are a team of hard-working, fun-loving professionals from some of the most eminent universities, research labs, and tech companies of our time. We pride ourselves on recruiting exceptional individuals to help us redefine the state-of-the-art.
Outstanding Partners: We work with 10+ of the largest retailers in the world and have a world-class roster of investors, advisors and partners to support & advise us in our endeavors.
What we offer
We care deeply about the health, happiness, and wellbeing of all of our employees. We offer:
• Competitive salary and attractive stock options
• Paid Time Off
• Quarterly Team Retreats
• Education grants