SENIOR FULL STACK ENGINEER
Medical bills suck….so we did something about it. The Spot Team is passionate about changing the industry and how insurance is distributed, gone are the days of Go-Fund-Me's or going into debt after an injury.
Spot is the first-of-its-kind injury insurance that pushes our customers to get out and live more, whether they're running their daily errands or on a once in a lifetime adventure with the family. Perfect for people who have active lifestyles, lousy health insurance or no health insurance at all, we earnestly believe breaking a bone shouldn't break the bank.
Our team is set to double this year and we have no plans to slow down. This means you'll have lots of opportunities to take on new challenges and wear many hats. We care about your success and helping you grow to achieve your goals inside and outside of Spot.
We believe in the importance of culture and community and that teams thrive when working in alignment.
Key Values for This Role
Why This Role Is Important to Us
This position will work on building the foundational technology that enables a great experience for Spot customers & partners. Our technology is the cornerstone behind everything we do. By building systems and features our customers need we make those stressful moments–from the unknowns of buying insurance to getting paid when you are injured–much easier.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Provide mentorship for junior and intermediate engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers to their autonomy.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity.
- Contribute to the effort to architect, design, and build systems that support our partnership integrations, claims workflows, and customer onboarding.
- Confidently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Develop and implement policy administration system that allows data analytics, transactions, and accounting to be easily visualized and administered.
- Create elegant, clear, and simple solutions that make our data accessible to the right people at the right time.
- Work with the product owner to understand and implement technical and design requirements through our agile development process.
Who You Are
- Technology excites you, old archaic systems are not what you need to thrive
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Good data in, good data out makes sense to you
- Experience in scaling a SaaS product
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Effective communication skills: achieve consensus with peers and provide regular status updates
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
A Typical Day Looks Like
- Working with the product owner to scope tasks and stories
- Meeting with co-lead to discuss new partnerships system design
- Implementing new system features in Node, SQL, & ObjectionJS
- Using Postman to setup different integration points and APIs
- Setting up processes to automate and import large data sets
- Working with Spot’s infrastructure to automate and troubleshoot our deployments
- Doing a peer review in GitHub and reviewing code coverage in Code Climate
Things You Might Brag About
- You’re familiar with most or all of the Spot Tech Stack and expert in at least one
- You’re just as productive working from home as you are in an office
- You’re empathetic and can look beyond the code to the impact on the customer experience
- You’re curious and drawn to modern technologies
Spot Tech Stack
- Postgres DB