Recognize is hiring! We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented senior Rails engineer to oversee our codebase and work on our best problems.
Who we are
Recognize is a profitable, self-funded technology company dedicated to employee recognition, positive psychology, and company culture. We are helping companies communicate company values while recognizing and rewarding their top performers through integrated apps. We believe recognition should never be more than two clicks away and thus, have dozens of integrations into the most popular business tools.
Our values are: Growth Mindset, Transparency, Open mindedness, Critical feedback, Meritocracy, A Team, and Self-Sufficiency.
Our engineering team is passionate about Ruby. Our CTO is a senior Rubyist, having been on Rails since 2004, version 1.6 and recently published a book on learning Ruby. We have an off-shore engineering team, a domestic support engineer, and an AWS infrastructure partner for our devops and site reliability.
Who you are
The ideal candidate loves being a large part of a small team and solving a diverse set of problems such as:
- Building sophisticated enterprise level architectures
- High level designing of scalable AWS infrastructure
- Low level bugs that go down into the Ruby stack
- Getting performant queries out of large data sets
This job is for you if you love getting into the internals of Ruby and Rails, enjoy learning new technologies, and take pride in a well oiled web application. We have an infrastructure team, devops team, and overseas engineering team that handles a lot of the heavy lifting. You will be working with them and overseeing their work.
How we work
- Latest tools and code technologies, such as Rails 6 and React Native
- Self-documenting code and pragmatic TDD with rspec, Capybara, and Ghost Inspector
- AWS, Docker, and Datadog for infrastructure
What you’ll be doing
- Own and oversee large scale technical implementations of business critical projects
- Collaborate with our six person engineering team via code-reviews, issue delegation, and ultimately product delivery
- Work with our infrastructure partner to manage site reliability and infrastructure issues
- Respond to third tier escalations of customer issues that require deep investigation
- Spearhead special projects that could have impact throughout the organization
- Reducing cycle time via regular product deliveries, code reviews, and unblocking lingering PRs.
- Lowering exception rates by triaging and fixing the most important or challenging bugs found in our error logs and delegating the rest.
- Increasing throughput and general scalability of our web application and background services by identifying performance bottlenecks at both Rails and AWS levels and delegating proposed solutions to our dedicated infrastructure partner.
- Solving ticket escalations that can’t be resolved via first tier customer support or second tier engineering support.
- Ruby on Rails: Mostly backend.
- Rspec / Capybara / TDD
- 5+ years of experience
- Eligible to work in the U.S.
Nice to haves (any, all not necessary):
- AWS (ECS, EC2, Elasticache, RDS, Aurora, Lambda, CloudFormation)
- MySQL: query optimization skills a plus
- Git: GitFlow/GithubFlow
- Enterprise technology: SAML SSO, SCIM, OAuth
- APIs: REST, GraphQL
- CI/CD, ShapeUp
- Services: Datadog, Azure, Jenkins, GhostInspector
- Remote and flex-time
- Top tier healthcare (medical, dental, vision), 401k, and Health Savings Account
- Unlimited vacation policy (2 week mandatory minimum)
- Company Laptop
- Home office stipend (upon eligibility)
- Subscription services: Udemy, Kindle Unlimited, KindBody, Teladoc, OneMedical, TalkSpace
All are welcome and encouraged to apply!
Recognize is an equal opportunity employer. As a company that creates positive cultures for our customers, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and belonging environment for all our employees. We highly encourage people from under-represented groups to apply. This isn't lip-service, we mean it. Accordingly, we've taken great care to design our interview process with this in mind. If you have any feedback on how we can do better, please let us know!