Fair Trade USA is seeking an experienced Technical Lead to be a key member of our small engineering team, helping to develop best-in-class technical solutions and integrations in support of our business. The Technical Lead is responsible for providing a strong technical direction, establishing a technical vision, resolving technical disagreements, and overseeing the quality of team deliverables. The Technical Lead ensures the team uses appropriate engineering practices, invests in continual improvements to tooling, eliminates tech debt, and that FT systems evolve to meet changing needs of internal and external customers.
We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop, and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized, or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Lead engineering efforts to deliver best-in-class code across a broad array of interactive web, Salesforce, and mobile projects
- Use a combination of platforms and languages
- Understand a variety of technical tools and their capabilities and select the right technology for the job
- Develop and test across multiple browsers, platforms, and devices
- Demonstrate an advanced knowledge of web and mobile UX/UI
- Work with Product Managers to understand requirements and priorities and create technical designs for solutions
- Work with cross functional teams as an agile coach, supporting them in understanding the work they are committing to and removing barriers to completion
- Identify cross-team dependencies and resolve conflicts
- Share learnings and best practices in technology and process
- Design, implement and support processes to build, test and deliver code to various production and non-production environments
- Develop functional and engaging web applications based on usability
- Work with Product Design and Product Management to implement interfaces that efficiently help our variety of stakeholders achieve their goals
- Collaborate on the creation of quality mock-ups and prototypes on tight timelines
- Embrace agile methodology and manage multiple projects while meeting agreed-upon deadlines
- Assist other developers with coding, troubleshooting, and testing
- Actively stay up to date on emerging technologies and proactively update platforms and languages.
Skills, Experience, & Knowledge
- 5+ years of work experience designing and building solutions and leading teams
- High level technical solution design and low-level specification
- Fully responsive full stack development
- Database design and optimization
- API design and implementation
- Ability to design, build and monitor continuous integration and delivery pipelines
- Managing cloud-based test, development, and production environments
- Nice to have:
- Oral and written Spanish fluency
- Salesforce Apex/Visualforce development
- Data integration
- UX Design
Education & Training
- Degree in computer science, software engineering or equivalent experience
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Generous Dependent Medical and Dental Coverage
- 401k Investment Plan with match
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Vacation Time (11 days during year 1, increases over time)
- Sick Leave (9 days per year)
- Sabbatical Leave (one 6 week paid leave after 7 years of continuous employment)
- Holidays (10 company paid holidays, 2 floating personal paid holidays, plus a paid winter break from Dec. 26 – 31)
This position can work out of the Bay Area (Oakland) or Remote U.S.
We are a Proud Equal Opportunity Employer
The fair trade model is firmly rooted in themes of empowerment, advocacy, and disrupting oppressive dynamics, and as such, Fair Trade USA actively strives to embody the values of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our day-to-day work. As an employer, we have zero tolerance for discrimination or harassment of any type. We value and promote a work environment that is inclusive, diverse, and bound by the following principles:
- We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees.
- We proudly provide employees with a work environment that is free of discrimination and harassment.
- All employment decisions at Fair Trade are based on the needs of our organization, the requirements of the job, and individual qualifications - period.
- We prohibit work-related actions, policies, and decisions based on race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other protected status, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
- We believe that a healthy and holistic work community is comprised of people of all ages, and therefore we welcome individuals of all stages in life to apply for our job openings.