SessionLab is the leading platform for workshop facilitation and process design. We are working to empower people to design and run better workshops, with more than 70.000 professionals using our Software-as-a-Service product.
We are looking for a senior full-stack developer with backend focused experience to help us scale our platform and deliver more value to our customers.
You’ll be our third developer, working closely with our CTO and senior front-end developer, as well as our designer and product manager. You’ll build new and exciting features, improve platform security and maintain stability of our infrastructure. You will have a chance to work on and influence our whole stack, including DevOps, with an initial focus on the backend.
We are a bootstrapped and profitable software business, headquartered in Tallinn, Estonia, and working across Europe with a fully remote 6-person team (team members currently in Sweden, Hungary, UK, Russia and Spain). Therefore, we are looking for somebody who is self-motivated, independent and comfortable working in a remote-first environment.
What we are looking for
- You have a deep Ruby on Rails knowledge and experience.
- You have experience with frontend web frameworks (e.g. React, VueJS, Angular).
- You are comfortable building full-stack features from scratch.
- You have experience with integration with third-party services like payment gateways, SSO (OAuth and SAML) providers, analytics and monitoring services.
- You are comfortable working in a small startup where cross discipline work is encouraged.
- You are good at problem solving critical production issues in a timely manner.
- You seek to take on responsibilities and take ownership of the work you do.
- You thrive working independently, but also enjoy collaborating with people from different disciplines and you always try to look at the big picture.
- Experience working remotely.
- You are based within UTC-8 and UTC+3 and have a few work hours overlap with 8am to 3pm UTC
Advantages (not a must but a big plus)
- Experience with deploying production grade systems on Amazon Web Services (EC2, CloudFront, S3)
- Experience with technologies in our stack (React, PostgreSQL, Redis, Pusher, Sidekiq, Mobx, Webpack)
- Experience with workflow tools (Github Actions, Sentry, Mixpanel, Jira)
- Experience in working on real-time sync in collaborative applications
- Contribution to open source projects
- Experience with maintaining WordPress
- Experience in scaling web applications
So what will I be doing?
To give you an honest perspective of where we are now: we have a stable application and infrastructure with a relatively up-to-date codebase, however we also have an increasing backlog of backend improvements as well as an exciting roadmap ahead of us.
This is where you come into the picture: we need somebody who can work full-time on reducing our backend backlog, help with full-stack development of new features, and work towards production deployment and support.
In more practical terms:
- Building new features that have backend or full-stack requirements.
- Reducing our backend related backlog.
- Debugging production related issues.
- Improve performance by optimizing DB queries.
- Supporting other team members with scripts or integrations to help improve internal workflow (e.g. email automations, integration between tools we use).
- Working with our designer to provide technical input on new designs.
- Working with the CTO and the frontend developer to improve the developer experience.
- Work on improving the security of the application and meeting certain enterprise standards.
- Scaling the infrastructure.
Why is this great for me?
- Opportunity to get involved early in building and scaling a product in a fast-growing market.
- Your role and responsibility will grow as our company grows.
- Work remotely and create your own schedule (we believe in trust and autonomy).
- Stable working environment that values work-life balance.
- Motivated co-workers.
- You will also have a chance to travel a couple of times per year to live company meetings.
- Open-minded working culture where we encourage sharing opinions and feedback.
- You are passionate about building stable apps that provide great user experiences. 🙂
The compensation range for this role is between €60,000 to €78,000 annually on B2B contract or matching gross salary as an employee (official employment status only available in certain countries). The actual compensation offered to a successful candidate will be based on relative experience and skills.
The compensation includes 20 calendar days per year plus your local holidays as paid time off, and additional remote working or home office setup support.
Ready to join us developing the greatest workshop design experience?Apply now here!
Here is also the outline of the whole application process, so you know what to expect:
- Fill in and submit the application form – we will try to get back to you within 2 working days, but sometimes it might take slightly longer
- A short (up to 30-minute) non-technical video interview where we try to see if there is culture fit between you and SessionLab
- A technical interview (60-minute) video interview where we will assess if your technical skills are right for the role
- Top candidates will be invited for a one-day paid contract work where you get to experience how we work and we get to see how you thrive under a busy day of work.
- If all goes well, we will make you an offer and if you accept, welcome you to our team!