The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Senior Software Engineer for our Technology department. This position is based in our Reston, Virginia office or a remote work arrangement.
About the Role
As a Senior Software Engineer, Cloud, the ideal candidate will have strong information analysis, testing, and Amazon Web Services technical skills.
The candidate will work with key business stakeholders and Information Technology (IT) staff to support the organization’s efforts in the areas of enterprise data management and services.
The candidate will have a responsibility to gather requirements, design, test, document, and support complex technical software solutions.
Responsibilities of the role
- Assist in the development lifecycle of full stack solutions and continuous delivery frameworks that improve the ability of the CB IT delivery teams to efficiently deliver solutions with quality.
- Develop subject matter expertise in College Board Enterprise data and use that expertise to support the College Readiness Assessment program.
- Communicate with and understand business goals and requirements, and work to create data solutions that add value to the business and are relatively easy to operate.
- Be responsible for complex software development efforts, managing small sections of ongoing projects, and closely adhering to deadlines.
- Define requirements, create design specifications, test, and prepare technical documentation.
- Performs system quality assurance testing and automated test development.
- Design and Implement serverless software solutions supporting data-focused systems.
- Play role in understanding business needs in context, from a user perspective.
- Support user-driven design of data models, APIs, and interfaces.
- Support and maintains apps in production on the AWS cloud.
- Follow best practices around version control, testing, and automated build processes.
Qualifications needed for the role
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or MIS.
- 7 – 10 plus years of experience in requirements analysis, quality assurance, software systems, and database development.
- Proficient in developing effective UIs using React, Node.js.
- Strong ability to explain advanced data concepts to both database developers and architects, and non-technical end-users.
- Experienced in data extraction and analysis utilizing available AWS Cloud applications/tools to query and extract data as needed for reporting analysis/development or for customer delivery.
- Ability to understand business needs and translate them into technical specifications.
- Strong experience with functional, integration, and regression testing techniques in validating data domain and web-based applications in a multi-tier environment.
- Demonstrated experience with AWS Lambda, Node JS, SNS/SQS, S3, IAM, CloudWatch, RDS, and DynamoDB.
- Proven track record of Leading/training and coaching less experienced teammates in new technologies, eager to help others grow their skills to enable the success of an entire team.
Preferred skills and other attributes for the role
- Mastery of data management concepts and best practices, as well as an ability to become an SME in College Board and education data.
- Expertise in understanding and writing SQL.
- Ability to use or learn: KMS, ALB/ELB, Route 53, Docker Containers, MFA.
- Fluency with CI/CD toolsets such as: AWS Codestar, Jenkins, Ansible, CloudFormation, BitBucket, Artifactory.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced experience in process analysis and documentation.
- Strong organizational skills.