Want to save lives and make cities more resilient? At Safehub, we are reshaping catastrophe risk and resilience from individual buildings to portfolios. Through our SaaS/IoT solution, we provide real-time building-specific earthquake damage information to customers globally. In March 2021, Safehub raised a series A round from Silicon Valley’s top early-stage funds and investors. We have excellent traction, having developed our core product, and are working with fantastic early-adopting customers. Yet we’re still small enough to offer the ground-floor benefits of a venture-backed startup, including significant career growth and financial upside potential. You will join a strong team from diverse backgrounds, including PhDs and founders who have built previous companies in this domain. For more information, see www.safehub.io.
Safehub is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
What you’ll do
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Safehub, you’ll work with a small but agile team to build upon the backend infrastructure that powers all of our earthquake detection and alerting systems. You’ll have the opportunity to wear many hats as you help to improve and extend our existing data processing systems and APIs. Some examples of things you may work on depending on your background and interests:
- Scaling and hardening our data ingestion and processing systems.
- Improving our existing digital signal processing algorithms and working with our structural engineers to integrate more.
- Cloud infrastructure engineering (in AWS) and DevOps.
- Building services and API endpoints to support our frontend and firmware teams.
Our platform and devices have the potential to transform the way individuals and companies respond to earthquakes by providing accurate understandings of damage inflicted to buildings. Along with working on an exciting product you’ll have a variety of benefits such as:
- Full medical, dental and vision insurance
- Work/life balance and a flexible vacation policy
- 401k program
- Learning budget
- A collaborative culture that values everyone’s ideas equally
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of backend or full-stack engineering.
- Experience with Ruby or Python (we use both).
- Experience with a major server-side framework e.g. Ruby on Rails or Django (we use Rails).
- Experience with cloud providers e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc (we use AWS).
- Willingness to learn about earthquake engineering, digital signal processing, and sensor design.
- Strong understanding of relational databases, APIs, asynchronous processing, service object paradigm, and other essential backend concepts.
Nice to have:
- Masters degree in Computer Science or similar field
- Prior knowledge or experience of security best practices
- Prior knowledge or experience with IoT
- Prior knowledge or experience with earthquake science
We especially encourage women and minorities to apply for this position even if they do not meet all of the minimum requirements.