About the company
MeiliSearch’s mission is to create a best-in-class search experience for every website and application. We are building a blazingly fast and ultra-relevant search engine made in Rust that allows our partners to have a powerful search engine without initial configuration. Features such as typo-tolerance, filters, and synonyms are provided out-of-the-box.
As an open source solution, we strongly believe the best way to realize our vision is to leverage the open source community's power. We already have many integrations and SDKs to allow any developer to try MeiliSearch in their environment quickly. We have a vibrant connection with our community of early adopters and builders. We are in contact every day and eagerly listen to feedback from our contributors.
We are a team of passionate people and our project is growing fast (+10K GitHub stars in 12 months). For us, the next step after building the basis of a strong open source solution is to tackle monetization through a SaaS product, and more specifically a Cloud-based offer. Today we are looking for an experienced Fullstack Software Engineer to join our Cloud team.
About the team
The Cloud team is composed today of a Team Lead (Nicolas
), a Tech Lead (Samuel
), a Product Designer (Charline
) and we will soon be welcoming a Technical Product Manager in the team. Initially created in the spring of 2021, the team’s first objective was to start building a first monetizable feature for our users, based on Cloud hosting.
After a period of beta testing, the Meilisearch Cloud offer is now planned to be released soon, which will introduce a different workflow as well as new technical challenges. We are looking for a Fullstack Software Engineer to complete the current team and take part in giving this new product technical stability.
About the role
We are looking for a profile who has experience and a preference for front-end, but who will also be able to work on back-end issues, and will be comfortable navigating among different scopes.
As a Software Engineer working on a new product at an early stage, your main mission will be to implement features defined by the team’s Product Manager. You will be reporting to the Team Lead, Nicolas.
Here is Meili Cloud’s current stack:
- Front-end (React / Tailwind / Cypress / Vercel)
- Back-end (Ruby on Rails / PostgreSQL / Heroku)
- Infra (DigitalOcean / Kubernetes / Docker)
- GitHub / GitHub Actions
What you’ll be doing:
As a Fullstack Software Engineer within the Cloud team, your role will include:
- Developing features in both front-end and back-end,
- Fix bugs in both front-end and back-end,
- Implementing tests in both front-end and back-end,
- Ensuring front-end scalability and best practices by actively keeping yourself updated about the market and new technologies,
- Proactively making propositions regarding our product’s front-end growth and evolutions,
- Being able to integrate our Product Designers’ recommendations & work in the application.
As a Meilisearch team member, you will also:
- Help in supporting developers use MeiliSearch
- Participate in answering the community’s questions in Slack and GitHub
- Interact with other teams within Meilisearch to improve user and developer experience
Our ideal profile:
Your fit with our team is as important to us as your technical background, if not more so. We are looking for someone with these important soft skills:
- Rigorous and detail-oriented: our open source product has strongly impacted our culture and values. Rigor and cleanliness of code are a must.
- Self-driven and pragmatic: you will be working on a new product, in a not-so-old company :) we are looking for a “builder” profile, who will look for and offer solutions, without trying to reinvent the wheel each time.
- Outstanding communication skills: you are attached to documenting your work and clearly communicating with your team about the choices you make. Ideally, you have experience working with remote colleagues.
- Experience with React,
- Experience with back-end languages such as Ruby on Rails and/or Python, Django
- You are fluent in English: you don’t have to be bilingual, but you will communicate with international team members as well as users (oral and written).
Nice to have:
- Experience working on the development of a SaaS,
- Experience as a full-stack developer.
Why you’ll enjoy working with us:
- Permanent full-time contract,
- We strongly value the wellness of our employees and are committed to making Meilisearch a benevolent place to work (attention to work-life balance, 3 months paid parental leave, 4 day work week),
- We are open to fully remote applications, as long as you are between GMT-4 and GMT+2 time zones.
- Please send us your resume and a quick note of why you might be a good fit for this job. Don't hesitate to have a look at our LinkedIn page, as well as our Meet the Team page (under construction).
- If your profile fits, you will meet our HR and one of our co-founders. They will contact you for a video call to get to know you a bit better (who you are, your background & ambitions, company culture & company ambition): 1h. If it doesn't fit you will get an email from us.
- You will meet the Cloud team lead and tech lead (1h video call)
- You will get a technical test (either peer coding or something to do at home) + a 30 min debrief quickly after
- You will meet two other people from Meili for a team fit interview: Amélie and Charline
- Our HR will do a reference check - don’t hesitate to give her the contact information of 2 people you’ve worked with in the past (preferably former managers).
MeiliSearch is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our open-source community.