Our Platform Engineering team is looking for a Senior Database Reliability Engineer to help run and maintain a highly available and performant database infrastructure. You will help scale our databases with optimal database strategies, including software engineering and operational practices that support the needs of our existing customers and future growth. You will be entrusted with proactively identifying and owning initiatives that will help improve the reliability, scalability and performance of our databases.
This is a remote opportunity and is open to candidates in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
Fleetio is a modern software platform that helps thousands of organizations worldwide manage their fleet operations. Transportation technology is a hot market and we’re leading the charge, with raving fans and new customers signing up daily. We raised a $21M Series B in late 2020 and are on an exciting trajectory as a company.
What you'll be doing
As a Senior Database Engineer on Fleetio’s Platform Engineering team, you will:
- Proactively identify, triage, and address database performance issues
- Improve database observability by maintaining and monitoring DB-specific metrics, including SLOs, SLIs
- Provide database-related expertise to product engineers via code reviews, pairing and other training methods
- Monitor database performance and optimize instance types and configuration as necessary
- Partner with our SRE to identify database-related performance bottlenecks and address them proactively
- Own database capacity planning and perform database upgrades
- Own database-specific portion of the disaster recovery plan and execution
- Manage backups and pre-production databases
- Work with security engineers to configure and optimize cloud infrastructure for high security
- Share your expertise and help product engineers learn database-related concepts and best practices, including providing feedback via code reviews
- Team up with Product Engineers on issues that require fixes in application code
- Document artifacts related to database infrastructure and operations
- Participate in on-call rotation
What's in it for you
- Be a part of an incredible team of “A” players who go above and beyond to make Fleetio a successful company. You will build software used by people all around the world. So many different types of companies and organizations operate a fleet daily, and Fleetio is a good fit for most of them (it’s a huge market).
- Work remotely (within the United States, Canada, or Mexico) or at our Birmingham, AL HQ. Over 80% of our Engineering Team works remotely (including our CTO), and we have promoted a strong remote working culture since the beginning (2012).
- We place great emphasis on work/life balance. We have families and hobbies and know you do, too.
Our Engineering and Product teams are structured as autonomous tribes that execute within one focal area toward a defined product vision. We're hardcore believers in easy-to-use software, and our main goal as Product Engineers is to quickly and continuously deliver meaningful value to our customers. Our platform engineering team has optimized our CI/CD tools and processes to easily get code into our production environments, resulting in an average of 40 deploys per week. See what our team has to say about how we work in their own words here
. You can also learn about the interview process here
- 5+ years of professional experience running large Postgres databases in cloud-based production environments
- Highly skilled in SQL programming
- Prior experience with Ruby-on-Rails framework
- Proficient in tuning databases for performance, availability, durability, integrity, security and scalability
- Experience managing failover and disaster recovery procedures for databases
- Exceptional analyzing, troubleshooting and diagnosing skills to help identify bottlenecks
- Experience with infrastructure as code technologies (such as Terraform)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be sure to mention “coffee” in your application so we know you actually read this
Considered a plus
- Experience with ETL or ELT tools & techniques
- Good understanding and knowledge of other big data technologies such as TimescaleDB, Snowflake, BigQuery
- Experience with other data technologies such as Kafka, Redis, ElasticSearch
- You know a thing or two about the Fleet management industry
- 100% health/dental coverage (50% coverage for family)
- Vision insurance
- Incentive stock options
- 401(k) match of 4%
- PTO - 4 weeks
- 8 company holidays + 2 floating holidays
- Parental and bonding leave
- Dependent care and medical FSA
- Short and long term disability
- Community service funds
- Professional development funds
- Health and wellness initiatives
- Mac laptop + new hire equipment stipend
- Monthly catered lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen with tons of drinks & snacks
- Remote working friendly since 2012
For Non-U.S. based candidates, Fleetio offers a country-specific competitive benefits package. If you reside in Mexico, those benefits are called out here. Not quite what you were hoping for? Check out our other engineering roles here.