At Metaculus, our aim is to improve human decision-making and coordination at scale by increasing analytic capacity, reasoning, and judgment. With the unique capabilities of the Metaculus forecasting platform, our innovative programs, and our long-term partnerships, we enable a range of stakeholders and contributors to engage in a process of collective reasoning, forecasting, and ultimately, more informed action. Via this process, we are fostering a worldwide positive-sum collaboration network that develops and aggregates the most accurate forecasts on topics of global importance, a network that spans across nonprofits, government agencies, and institutions, to individual forecasters, researchers, students, and authors.
As an organization, we strive to combine the best aspects of science culture and applied innovation culture, with a high-impact operational philosophy. We are now actively seeking a technology leader who will take the reins in developing the future of the Metaculus platform.
In this role you will:
- Work cross-functionally with the product and program teams to develop and refine our web development and product roadmap
- Have a great deal of responsibility for the outcome of this endeavor
- Help architect and design the systems we build
- Implement complex and interesting systems with a focus on scalability, maintainability, correctness and performance
- Lead the engineering team and contribute to the technical and cultural foundations of our high-caliber product development workflow
- Identify user and system requirements for new websites and applications
- Prioritize software development projects, set timelines and assign tasks to team members
- Create wireframes to decide on layout
- Write or review code for various applications
- Run functionality testings and debug code
- Oversee junior web developers and evaluate their performance
- Liaise with designers to decide on UI/UX elements (like graphics and navigation buttons)
- Ensure our software documentation is up-to-date
- Collaborate with mobile developers to build mobile-responsive websites
The ideal candidate:
Has a strong software engineering background.
- B.Eng, MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science
- 8+ years of experience designing and developing software systems with a strong understanding of scaling and performance
- Passionate about programming.
- Clean coding habits, attention to detail, and focus on quality.
- Hands-on programmer with strong data-structures and algorithms skills.
- Good understanding of database internals, query processing and query optimization
- Ability to reason about and choose among different frameworks, cloud services, and libraries.
Is comfortable and confident leading a team.
- At least 5 years of engineering or research people management experience.
- An understanding of how to lead both research and engineering projects, with at least 3-5 other engineers in various roles.
- Track record of attracting, recruiting, hiring and mentoring great people.
- Clear communication about engineering topics to diverse audiences.
As a nice-to-have, has strong data science chops.
- Excellent mathematical or data science skills.
- Robust forecasting experience.
- Experience with mockup and UI prototyping tools
- Understanding of security practices
- Solid knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Familiarity with network diagnostics tools
We are also happy to consider excellent mission-aligned programmer willing to take on leadership responsibilities, lacking the experience mentioned above.
Metaculus offers competitive compensation and flexible benefits, including health insurance cost reimbursement. Metaculus is an equal opportunity employer that knows and appreciates the benefits of a diverse workforce.
This is a remote position and offers flexible hours (between UTC -8 and +3) and asynchronous collaboration with a motivated, high-energy team. We review applications on a rolling basis.