is a bootstrapped, profitable, 100% remote, ~80 person team of thoughtful individuals who value autonomy and impact. We’re eager to make a product our customers fall in love with over and over again.
We ❤️ startups & SMBs. Since 2013, we’ve been building a CRM that focuses on better communication, without the hassle of manual data entry or complex UI. Our goal: double the productivity of every sales rep.
Our backend tech stack
currently consists primarily of Python Flask web apps with our TaskTiger
scheduler handling many of the backend asynchronous task processing chores. Our data stores include MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis. The underlying infrastructure runs on AWS using a combination of managed services like EKS, MSK, RDS and ElasticCache and non-managed services running on EC2 instances. All of our compute runs through CI/CD pipelines that build Docker images, run automated tests and deploy to our Kubernetes clusters. Our backend primarily serves a well-documented public API
We're looking for a full-time Engineering Manager to join our core Product & Engineering Team who has significant experience building, managing, and monitoring backend services at scale. You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a medium-sized, talented team where you're supported in your efforts to grow professionally. You are able to manage your time well, communicate effectively, and collaborate in a fully distributed team.
Reporting to the Director of Backend Engineering, you will lead a small team of Python engineers, helping them solve technical challenges, project planning and providing other support as needed to help them build our backend services. Your team will split its time working on a combination of (a) general backend projects to improve our product, and (b) specific focus areas assigned to your team.
This position will lead some of our backend security initiatives. Example projects include managing our compliance monitoring platform, improving our alerting processes, and managing a new bug bounty program.
- Manage and grow a team of 4-8 mostly senior Python software engineers, support them through 1:1s and continuous feedback, and support their career growth.
- Help manage our software development cycles by supporting prioritizing, speccing, and building features (our process is loosely based on Shape Up).
- Work with other Close teams to communicate changes, gather requirements, and maintain open communication across our organization.
- Act as a technical sounding board for their team to help fine tune our architecture, validate level of efforts and brainstorm creative solutions for our engineering challenges.
- Develop a roadmap for their team’s focus areas and set goals to work towards that plan.
- Help tune our engineering processes to allow us to scale and continue shipping high quality software.
- Promote delegating responsibilities across their team and sharing knowledge whenever possible (check out our engineering blog for examples of sharing).
- Help maintain our public and private GitHub repos by managing issues and projects to categorize, prioritize, and plan future work.
- This position is primarily a management role but the candidate should be comfortable with coding efforts like PR reviews, bug fixes, and other coding activities outside of critical path development efforts.
- Have 2+ years leading a software engineering team.
- Have 4+ years of senior software engineering experience (Senior experience in other languages is acceptable but working knowledge of Python is required).
- Have a strong interest and ideally significant experience in backend technologies like databases, async job processing, messaging systems, indexing/search systems, web frameworks, AWS or other cloud providers, etc.
- Be detail-oriented, organized, and great at oral/written communication.
- Be self-motivated and comfortable with responsibility.
- Be growth minded and want to help improve our processes, scale teams, and take other actions that significantly improve our productivity and quality.
- Be a US citizen or green card holder and located in the US ((lower 48 timezones)
🌏 Why Close?
- Watch our most recent culture video featuring our annual team retreat in Italy
- 100% remote company
- Choose between working 5 days/wk (standard full-time) or 4 days/wk @ 80% pay
- 5 weeks PTO + Winter Holiday Break with 2 additional PTO days for every year with the company
- 1 month paid sabbatical every 5 years
- Paid parental leave
- Medical, Dental, Vision with HSA option (US residents)
- 401k matching at 6% (US residents)
- Dependent care FSA (US residents)
- Contributor to Stripe's climate initiative
- Our story and team 🚀
- Build a house you want to live in -- Examine long-term thinking and action
- No BS - Practice transparency and honesty, especially when it’s hard
- Invest in each other -- Build successful relationships with your coworkers and customers
- Discipline equals freedom -- Keep your word to yourself and others
- Strive for greatness -- Constantly challenge yourself and others
How We Work Together
- Productivity, Quality & Impact: We don’t track hours. We trust you’re an adult and know best how to prioritize, meet your goals and contribute at a high level.
- Asynchronous communication & collaboration: We have team members all over the world. We don’t expect anyone to work untraditional hours, that means our default is async. Most teams have 2-5 hours of internal meetings weekly.
- Appreciation for Deep Work: *During your normal work day, not after a day a meetings*.
- Autonomy & Freedom: Create a work environment that is sustainable for you. We place a high amount of trust and responsibility with our team members from the start.