About the Job at PostPilot.com / Handwrite.io
You’ll pitch in on building our Ruby on Rails + Hotwire app(s)
as we continue to grow, add new features, keep them fast, and ratchet up their reliability & robustness.
At PostPilot we build our product following the Basecamp Shape Up
methodology and keep our apps fast, secure, and reliable. Right now, we're hoping to further develop our flagship product PostPilot and work on problems like A/B testing, MFA, Adding more e-commerce integrations, building external APIs, and of course, making sure our existing infrastructure is scalable and maintained.
This position includes building features, deep-dive debugging, internal tooling, web performance, and internal support, with a bit of Robots and hardware thrown in. Day in and day out you’ll get to the bottom of multiple different issues across the stack and across projects. You can expect an inclusive, eager small team (of 4 devs) team who’ll support you in it, rise to challenges with you, and grow together.
Here are real examples of the work we’ve done lately that might help you to get a better idea of what this job entails:
- Built a fleet of handwriting robots driven by Ruby on Rails.
- Built support for single-use unique coupon codes in direct mail campaigns
- Built the ability for Shopify brands (our users) to send real handwritten notes (postcards in envelopes, with real pens) with live in-browser previews
- Created a Public API for sending postcards and handwritten notes in our production facility.
- Developing a load balancing strategy for “expensive” Sidekiq background jobs that were crushing external APIs and our queues.
- Improved developer experience with Heroku (Pipelines, CI, and Review apps), Github Actions
- Deep dive into expensive queries in our application and working to improve performance and memory consumption from Postgres to Rails
- Built a webhook event publishing system for events from our production facility.
- Upgraded our main application to Rails 7 with import maps and hotwire.
We’re looking for candidates who are ready for a similar breadth and depth of work. There are a lot of areas of responsibility! Solid fundamentals with software development, systems, troubleshooting, and teamwork pave the way.
We value people who have an opinion but can commit even if they disagree. People who understand the value of others being heard. This is only possible with direct feedback, openness to each others’ experiences, and willingness to show up for each other.
You can expect a team that listens, and to be heard. You can expect to be counted on. We care about what you can do and how you do it, not about how you got here. This is a remote-friendly job. You’re free to work where you work best. The bulk of our work is written via Slack and Github, from pull request discussions to team chats, and video recordings with a few video calls thrown in.
We require your timezone to overlap at least 5 hours with the United States east coast workday.
Pay and benefits
The salary for this position is $80,000 - $120,000 USD to be paid monthly. Applicants from outside the US will be offered a contractor role with comparable terms and at the same rate of pay as our US-based employees.
Our target start date for our new hire is as soon as possible.
How to apply
Please send a quick message tailored to this position that speaks to us. Include the phrase "Ghostbusters!" and we'll know you're a real person that made it this far. Introduce yourself to us as a colleague. Give us some examples of how you’ve been successful in the past. We're sure you can write a lot, but here you can keep it to fewer than 300 words.
You should expect to hear from us fairly quickly. After that, there are 3 phases of the process.
- A quick call to learn more about each other. Expect a 30-minute call.
- A take-home exercise, our technical exercise is representative of the kind of day-to-day work we do with a follow-up code walkthrough call. Plan for around 4 hours for the exercise and 30-minutes for the follow-up.
- One last call with one of our Founders and the CEO of the company. Expect this to take 20-minutes.
Our interviews are conversations held over video with future colleagues – no tests, no surprises!