Mid-level to Senior Ruby on Rails Developer, part of an International Team working on a large Ruby on Rails application used by local governments in the UK and the US.
We’re particularly interested in someone who can help us modernise the front-end of our system over time.
- Developing new pieces of functionality
- Investigating and fixing issues reported by users
- Contributing to code reviews
- Writing automated tests for new or existing functionality
- Taking part in team meetings
- Suggesting ways for the team to work more effectively
- Working with other team members to refactor code to simplify and improve the maintainability of parts of the system
- Helping to improve our deployment pipeline and development environment
- Reviewing operational data such as exception notifications and logs to understand potential issues
Skills and experience
The ideal candidate must have:
- 3+ years’ working experience developing Web applications, including at least 2 with Ruby on Rails
- Passion for writing simple, clean, efficient code
- A great team player – you will enjoy working collaboratively, learning from and teaching the other members of your team
- Our team is from Spain, Hungary, Poland and the UK so it is essential you can communicate well in English
Not required but desirable:
- Prior experience developing in an Agile team environment
- Comfortable with common Ruby tools (Rake, etc.) and support tools (Jira, Git)
- Experience writing unit tests
- Understanding of object oriented analysis and design (you may be a fan of Sandi Metz)
- Knowledge of test automation, e.g. using MiniTest, Capybara or simila
- Experience with the AWS ecosystem of services
At Secret Source we believe that team happiness is the key to success so you’ll get to work on great projects, using the latest tools and work with highly skilled coworkers. Our team is what makes our company special so we do all we can to make Secret Source the best place for you, this includes opportunities to learn new skills, personalised professional development and remote working and flexitime as standard. We have many scrum teams and you will be working in a full stack team with an international client.
To read more about Secret Source visit our website - secret-source.eu
.Why work with Secret Source
We believe that happy developers write the best code so we are focused on creating the best environment for our developers to thrive and be the best they can be. So if you’re still not convinced we have some great benefits:
- Remote work opportunities (choose to work from home or from our spacious office) Please note: this is not a fully remote position we will require you to come into the office occasionally.
- Paid weekly training time – every week you are given time to train, we will also pay for any courses you want to take
- 1:1 mentoring and continual professional development
- A spacious, custom built office with outside terraces, kitchen and multiple chillout areas – check out the photos on the-house.eu
- Extra day holiday on your birthday
- Flexitime – We have a flexible working timetable that can work around your personal schedule. Some people like starting early, some prefer working late, some like to spend time with their kids in the afternoon, we’ll adapt to your needs.
- Free coffee / tea and a buffet breakfast on Fridays
- Free English / Spanish lessons
- Weekly tech talks
- Regular events (our famous bbq)
- Yoga every week
- Competitive salary based on education, experience and knowledge.
Secret Source is an equal opportunities employer.