is the world’s largest loyalty platform, providing easy-to-use reward programs that help scaling ecommerce brands transform one-time sales into repeat, loyal customers. Over 100,000 brands use Smile to turn transactional purchases into passionate repeat shoppers.
We’re celebrating explosive growth and need your help empowering every entrepreneur to grow their brand and build lasting relationships with their customers. We are a fully remote company, and we believe you should be able to work from anywhere. We have team members working from home offices across the globe, and our team has never been more connected. Tell us where you'd like to work when you apply!
The engineering team at Smile.io
believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. Right now we’re working on expanding our product to support the massive growth of ecommerce.
We currently power over 100,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million customers, and serving 1M API requests/hour. Our primary deployment languages are Ruby on Rails, React & Ember.js
, but as a team, we enjoy learning new languages and technologies - so this list could change! We use Github, Slack, and Github Actions to communicate efficiently and ship code every day.
We value diversity, inclusion, and belonging. It helps us build a better product, it helps us create opportunity for growth and change. It helps us enjoy the work we do, and create a supportive creative environment to do our best work. It helps us to be human.
About the Team:
Our Merchant Squad focuses on building & maintaining experiences for e-commerce merchants using Smile on platforms like Shopify
. Our goal is to make using Smile's loyalty programs for merchants easy, delightful, and powerful. We build user experiences that include web interfaces, services for configuration and management, new user sign up, and merchant onboarding. If this sounds exciting, apply today!
About the Role:
As a Senior Software Engineer, you'll be working on a distributed team with diverse skills across the tech stack. We build features, enhancements, experiments, and deliver sustainable, quality software in an agile environment.
What you'll help us achieve:
- Write, test, instrument, document, and maintain software for Smile.io
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and Engineering teams to build new features
- Analyze how your features are performing in production to learn and make the product better
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis by participating in a weekly on-call rotation
Who you are:
- Have high empathy in everything you do
- Have built web experiences and systems at scale
- Enjoy and thrive in a fully remote, distributed work culture
- Are highly self directed and take initiative to go above and beyond expectations
- Value clear written and verbal communication
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly and put them into practice
- Use data to validate your hypotheses and inform your decision making
- You enjoy automating, and scaling
- You believe in simplicity over complexity
- You value agility and the ability to shift focus quickly
- You value products over projects
- You’re more focused on outcomes over output
Bonus if you have:
- Ecommerce Industry Experience
- API Development Experience
- Experience with complex data structures and data architecture
- Experience with automated integration testing and test automation
- Security by Design, and Privacy by Design principles
Our Tech Stack
Our commitment to candidates:
At Smile, we understand that finding a new role is challenging and that self-doubt or imposter syndrome can prevent you from applying to a role, don’t let it! You have a ton to offer and we want you to feel encouraged to apply, even if you don’t check all of the boxes. If you are passionate about eCommerce and helping merchants grow through loyalty and reward, connect with us.
At Smile, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.