A better place to work. Better work to do. Agile Six is a people-first, remote-work company that serves shoulder-to-shoulder with federal agencies to find innovative, human-centered solutions. We build better by putting people first. We are animated by our core values of Purpose, Wholeness, Trust, Self-Management and Inclusion. We deliver our solutions in autonomous teams of self-managed professionals (no managers here!) who genuinely care about each other and the work. We know that’s our company’s purpose – and that we can only achieve it by supporting a culture where talented people feel valued, self-managed, and love to come to work.
is seeking our next Sixer
to join our growing #remotefirst company as a Senior Software Engineer who can bring their extensive experience and expertise in developing software to an important project that benefit Veterans. In addition to having extensive recent Drupal experience, the right candidate is an expert in software development principles and best practices and can bring that experience and understanding to a variety of engineering problems. Most importantly, we are looking for someone who wants to work on important problems that have a lasting impact on millions of users and make a difference in our government!
Agile Six is looking for a senior software engineer to join a highly collaborative Agile team working with the Department of Veterans Affairs to drive improvements to the Veteran experience across their digital platform, VA.gov
. You will be able to bring extensive experience and expertise with software development principles and best-practices to a range of problems, and be able to learn new tools, languages and frameworks as necessary. Most importantly, you have a passion for working on important problems that have a lasting impact on millions of users and make a difference in our government!
This project will be an exciting and rare opportunity to join a cross-functional team to support ongoing product development on the Drupal 9 content management system that drives VA.gov
, a modern, high-profile U.S. government website used by millions of Veterans to understand and access their benefits. While this position is mostly remote, there may be occasional requirements and/or opportunities to travel in support of the project and/or company, such as an onsite meeting with VA stakeholders or in-person company team-building event.
Our full-stack teams will be building and iterating on Veteran-facing products leveraging the #opensource backend Drupal 9 CMS powering a statically generated, decoupled www.va.gov
website. The decoupled backend CMS/D9 repo and frontend repositories both follow the U.S. Digital Services Playbook (great read) and "Default to Open"
, therefore are fully #opensource and you can look at them both here:
Here is some of the tooling with which you can expect to interact should you join us on this modern U.S. Government project:
- Drupal 9 for the CMS application backend.
- Metalsmith and React for the frontend.
- GitHub for version control and ZenHub for ticket management.
- Slack for day to day communications.
- Jenkins & Ansible for builds and daily continuous deploys (CD) to PROD.
- Continuous Integration (CI) environments and test automation.
- AWS GovCloud w/ Terraform for infrastructure.
- Zoom for video conferencing.
- Work as part of a distributed/remote cross-functional team that includes designers, content strategists, and user researchers to create a world-class content authoring and publishing experience
- Work closely with Engineering and DevOps team to deliver performant and scalable services and components
- Complete high-complexity tasks both independently and collaboratively as needed
- Bring expertise in design patterns and industry best-practices to the design and building of software
- Understand the technical "big picture" and be able to provide guidance on solution direction, architecture, and tradeoffs to technical and non-technical audiences
- Proactively find and reduce technical debt (with a focus on tech debt that is frequently an impediment to the rest of the team)
- Understand and evaluate technical, resource, and timeline risks, be able to provide mitigation strategies and see them through.
- Demonstrate a teaching/mentoring mindset, especially with non-technical colleagues and stakeholders (be able to explain technical concepts to non-technical people in a clear and understandable way)
- Conduct peer code reviews.
- Understand and communicate how the Drupal architecture supports specific requirements around design, workflow, permissions, and other elements of content editing and governance process
- Support testing and other QA activities, including writing of automated unit, system, performance, functional tests and manual testing efforts
- Support the creation and refinement of user stories in Zenhub, including helping the PO refine acceptance criteria and providing supporting assets as guidance
- Identify client needs and 'meet them where they are’ through empathy and understanding
- Participate in the design and evolution of the existing content model in coordination with evolving information architecture and design
- Occasionally participate in designing and administering formal user research activities, including, but not limited to, discovery and synthesis of findings
- Minimum 7 years of full-time experience as a Software Engineer
- Minimum 4 years of full-time experience in Drupal
- Familiar with working collaboratively in an Agile cross-functional team
- Solidly grounded in software engineering fundamentals and best-practices, including mastery of object-oriented programming concepts, a solid understanding of design patterns, and good habits around writing automated tests and testable code
- Experience working in different areas of the software stack and solving a variety of engineering problems throughout their career
- Confident adapting to new languages and technologies to solve problems in elegant and practical ways
- Experience with accessibility requirements, standards, and testing tools
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Familiar with and agrees to the Drupal Code of Conduct
- Lives in and is able to work in the U.S. (Unfortunately, we cannot support Visas at this time)
- Ability to pass a U.S. Government background investigation
Additional desired qualifications
- Familiarity with static site generators (i.e. Metalsmith or Gatsby)
- Experience in Drupal theming layer
- Experience with CSS Preprocessors
- Knowledge of Drupal tools: Drush, Drupal Console, Composer
- Knowledge of Section-508 Accessibility requirements, standards, and testing tools
- Experience working with government agencies
- U.S. Veteran
Our benefits are designed to reinforce our core values of Wholeness, Self Management and Inclusion. The following benefits are all available to all employees, but you will be expected to largely manage them yourself. We respect that only you know what balance means for your life and season. While we offer support from coaches, we expect you to own your wholeness, show up for work whole, and go home to your family the same. You will be seen, heard and valued. We expect you to offer the same for your colleagues, be kind (not bossy), caring (not directive) and ready to participate in a state of flow. We mean it when we say “We build better by putting people first.”
All Sixers Enjoy:
- Self-managed work/life balance and flexibility
- Competitive and equitable salary (equal pay for equal work)
- Tenure-based profit sharing
- Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) for all employees!
- 401K matching
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance
- Employer paid life insurance
- Self-managed and generous paid time off
- Paid federal holidays and Election day off
- Paid parental leave
- Self-managed professional development budget
- Self-managed wellness days
The salary for this position is $144,650 - $152,068
Agile Six Applications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.
If you need assistance or reasonable accommodation in applying for any of these positions, please reach out to [email protected]. We want to ensure you have the ability to apply for any position at Agile Six and are happy to assist with your application.
Please read and respond to the application questions carefully. Interviews are conducted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.