Ruby on Rails Developer
Remote or on-site in Salt Lake City, Utah
For remote positions, travel to our corporate offices in Salt Lake City, Utah will be required up to 6 times per year.
Deseret Book, a historic Utah company founded in 1866, is seeking a Ruby developer to help write the next chapter of our story.
As Deseret Book continues to focus on digital offerings, we are seeking a candidate to create solutions and lead development efforts. Current projects are focused on serving our mobile and smart TV apps (eBooks, digital audio/video streaming), ecommerce and retail systems, connecting to external APIs, and building integrations to create better experiences for our customers.
· Mature codebases built using Ruby 2.x and Rails 5/6, and tested with Rspec
· ERB and React views
· Deploying to AWS with Docker
· Backend data systems using Postgresql, Redis, and AWS (SNS, SQS, Lambda, S3)
· Ecommerce built on Solidus
· Product and content search using Algolia
· Streaming video using JWPlayer
· Team coordination with Microsoft Teams, SCM with Gitlab and Github.
· 4+ years with Ruby and Rails
· Managing deliverables and projects, communicating requirements and timelines
· Ability to work independently in addition to collaborative work on large projects with local and remote team members
· Building HTTP-based APIs
· Solid understanding of automated testing with RSpec or Minitest
· Experience deploying to cloud services (AWS or similar)
· Writing and understanding SQL queries and relational database schemas
· Experience with git for source management and conducting code reviews for merge requests
· Work with streaming audio and video
· Ecommerce and subscription systems
· AWS DevOps and any other AWS products
What we offer
· Medical, dental, and life insurance
· Remote work flexibility
· Generous paid vacation and holidays
· Company-funded retirement plan
· 401(k) savings plan with company matching funds
· Complimentary copies of company products and a merchandise discount
Equal Opportunity and Diversity
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds to apply. We’re committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career. We are an equal-opportunity employer and are committed to a team and culture that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion without regard to race, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the State of Utah.
About Deseret Book Company
Deseret Book is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Deseret Management Corporation, the holding company for business firms owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Deseret Book is a profit-making Utah corporation.
Deseret Book is committed to support the mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints by providing products and services that strengthen individuals, families, and our society.