We are looking for a senior engineer with full stack experience who will be responsible for implementing new features and refactoring existing capabilities. We have a monolithic Java application that we are refactoring, rebuilding, and reinventing as a modern Saas application. The back end is primarily Java with a MySQL database. The front end is split between (1) older technologies that we are modernizing and (2) newly refactored areas featuring React as the primary UI. We have more than enough work to do so you’ll never be bored and there is plenty of room to influence the approach we take in solving these difficult problems. We currently have a team of six brilliant engineers who balance principles and pragmatism, and work hard to refine their craft. We have ambitious goals and want to grow with people that can bring new ideas to the table. If you’re looking to join a team that is self-directed, values listening and learning from each other, and wants to do great work each and every day, we’d love to hear from you.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Kuali builds open source higher ed solutions in a competitive space where users are just waiting to be delighted.
Why join us? Our work matters — we’re helping our customers improve the quality of higher education by decreasing administrative costs. We compete in a competitive space where users are saddled with outdated, inefficient, legacy ERPs and eager to be delighted. We’re generating revenue and growing quickly with nearly 170 customers and 100 employees. Kuali is committed to open source software development. You’ll have a significant impact on what we do and how we do it because we are an empowered group of entrepreneurs. Plus, you’ll get to work with some truly amazing people at a fast-growing, design-centric EdTech startup.
If you’re looking to make your fortune off a quick flip with no business model, you’d be happier someplace else.
Experience comes in many forms and varied backgrounds are a strength of this team. While all of these of these are not required, having some combination of them can help you get up to speed with the team and the product.
- A depth of experience working on the back end of several web applications. While languages are flexible, experience with a strongly typed system is preferable
- Familiarity with relational databases, knowing your way around SQL and being able to figure out how to get the data you need
- Cloud and Saas operations are a big win. If you’ve set up and managed cloud infrastructure using AWS services you should feel right at home
- A willingness to understand the product from the customer’s perspective with an appreciation for good product design and its role in the success of a product.
- Openness to learn from others and to teach when appropriate. We all have strengths and weaknesses and when we can effectively overlap as a team we become so much more.
- Versatility switching between thinking big and acting small. Willing to work on both new and old, being excited about the future but appreciate the past and the wisdom that if offers.
- Curiosity for learning. You love to seek knowledge and are equally excited to share your knowledge with others.
- 401k matching (up to 4% of your salary)
- Full health premiums paid by company for you and dependents
- Take the time off that you need (we don’t track sick or vacation time)
- Paid holidays
- Annual tech hardware budget to buy whatever you want to do your job
- Annual conference and training budget to learn what you want to learn
- Catered lunches & fresh fruit if you are local
- Remote-friendly environment