Merchstack is hiring for a Senior Backend Software Engineer in Southeast Asia to help us build the future of commerce. We're leading the development of an open source commerce platform owned by one of the most significant and recognizable technology companies in the United States. This is a hands on role in a small team. You’ll have the opportunity to help shape the fastest growing open-source commerce platform in the world. We’re looking for people who are highly communicative, self-directed, with well-developed critical thinking skills.
You’ll be responsible for solving problems, developing product features, squashing bugs, scaling services, writing great documentation, and maintaining the core codebase. You’ll play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into reliable, well-tested software.
Here is a list of the type of work that you’ll be spending the majority of your time on:
- Develop and ship product features and services
- Develop, support, and improve our GraphQL API
- Write automated unit and integration tests
- Enhance the extensibility of the core codebase
- Identify and implement improvements to the developer experience around our product
- Develop internal systems to make shipping products easier and faster
- Create integrations with 3rd-party partners to extend the overall functionality of the platform
- Work with frontend developers to improve the way that client applications interact with the APIs
- Keep the system up-to-date by integrating changes from upstream packages
- Actively communicate status of tasks and projects to peers
- Write clear, effective developer documentation
- Write blog posts about interesting ways to extend the product
We're flexible on most of the points below. They are less requirements than they are ideals. We're looking for the right person to work with, not to tick off checkboxes.
- You have experience taking high quality projects from start to finish and are confident in your ability to deliver visible results in a remote environment with limited supervision.
- You have developed and supported distributed, scalable, and highly automated software systems in a production environment.
- You are deeply familiar with Node.js and its best practices.
- You have a deep understanding of the NPM ecosystem and publishing process
- You have extensive experience designing web-based APIs in REST or GraphQL.
- You’re willing to put your project on hold to help a teammate via pairing or teaching concepts and patterns.
- You enjoy collaborating with designers, infrastructure engineers, and product owners.
- You have worked in a professional software environment building and shipping products for at least five years.
- You’re a proficient communicator and have excellent written and verbal English.
- You have a passion for Open Source, eCommerce, or both!
- You’re comfortable working remotely.
About Our Stack
- Development: NodeJS, Apollo, GraphQL, MongoDB, pnpm
- Deployment: Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- Relational Databases like Postgresql
Why work with us? 🚀
- Ability to take real ownership of major parts of an open source commerce platform.
- Opportunity to build a product and a framework, not just a website.
- Top caliber team with deep engineering, design, and product expertise.
- Work remotely within a distributed team environment.
- Unlimited PTO that you can really take.
- Flexible working schedule.
Merchstack partners with companies on their journey to build, launch, and scale modern eCommerce stores. We work with market-leading technologies and our own internal products to help our customers achieve ambitious digital experiences and unlock new growth opportunities. We are a remote-only company with employees all over the world, including the Philippines, the United States, Canada, Spain, and the United Kingdom. We are a small team with big ambitions and value people who are driven towards delivery and thrive on autonomy and trust.
$60k to $80k US Dollars
Full-time Contract (Employee arrangements can be made for most countries)
Preferably in South or Southeast Asia but must overlap +/- 4 hours of GMT+8 every day