Annual salary £50,000 - £80,000 per annum
Remote within the UK
- One of the UK's most popular small business accounting products with over 100,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances!
- Loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered "exceptional")
- Rated 4.7 ⭐ on Trustpilot.
This is your chance to come and shape the future of small business banking and accounting!
Make a difference 💫
We’re on a mission to make small businesses happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances. Our accounting product is already used and loved by thousands of accountants and small businesses and this role is an exciting opportunity to contribute to a product that makes a real difference to its users and the businesses they run.
We're seeing a revolution in the FinTech industry, and government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products for customers.The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we're working on the cutting edge. We're focused on providing the best possible user experience for our growing customer base.
The role 👷
Senior engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to provide technical leadership and help to grow their teams. You'll join one of our cross functional product teams consisting of a Product Manager, a Designer and 3-5 Engineers. Our product teams have a high degree of autonomy so we like to work with people with strong initiative and a dedication to continuous learning. We invest in our platform (code health, scalability, security) as well as working on new features.
We have built a powerful CI/CD platform which can run 50,000 automated tests in around five minutes which allows us to remain productive at scale, and allows all engineers, regardless of level, to deploy code to production multiple times a day.
We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. We have regular 'wiggle weeks' and we hold our legendary 'Hack Days' twice a year. Engineers write about what they do, and what they learn, on our popular engineering blog
Your typical week will involve:
- Develop new product features and improve existing ones using a test-driven approach
- Work closely with other engineers, product managers and designers to deliver an amazing product experience for our customers
- Help your team plan, estimate and deliver projects. Shipping isn't just about merging pull requests – we put an emphasis on writing culture and ask engineers to document what they've created to expand our collective knowledge
- Contribute new ideas for developing features and refactoring areas of code
- Share what you've learned by talking at our weekly Engineering Forum
- Continually expand your knowledge of both our business and technology domain. We have the resources and we give you the time to learn!
- Develop and apply your mentoring and leadership skills
Apps we use: GitHub, Trello, G Suite, Notion, Miro
We look for:
- Commercial experience of building web/SaaS apps
- Enthusiasm for taking complex problems and simplifying them for customers
- Attention to detail. We value people who believe a job worth doing is worth doing right
- Pragmatism; being committed to getting things done while understanding tradeoffs
- A high level of self-motivation and self-awareness
- A commitment to ongoing self-development, improving both technical and soft skills. If you have the commitment, we can provide opportunities for you.
- Strong communication skills. Being able to write well and articulate your thoughts are great skills to have in any business.
Annual salary £50,000 - £80,000 (plus 15/20% outer/inner-London weighting), plus we provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website. This role can be remote within the UK and if you are Edinburgh based there may be an opportunity to adopt hybrid working for this role and work under an agreed pattern from both the office and at home.
Creating the best place to work 👩🏽💻
We want people to be productive, to have career opportunities, to be focused on meaningful work and to have an excellent work/life balance. We value a diverse team, and we believe the variety of experiences and backgrounds in our team make us stronger. We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. We like to think we work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it!
Over the last year we have adapted well to working remotely as we have been able to rely on our long established remote friendly practices. Looking to the future, we are excited to understand our ‘new normal’ and are committed to exploring the opportunities that a hybrid working environment could bring for our wider team.
Our amazing office in central Edinburgh will remain as our hub and our working environment is light and bright, with inspiring spaces and quiet places.
While we’re remote we're finding alternative ways to stay connected and enjoy activities together, from our virtual art club to exercise challenges and cake decorating competitions.
Applying for the role ✍
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity.
Our selection process involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and video interviews so you can meet the team. We work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
We really care about building an inclusive and diverse team, and we welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. We want to make sure that the people who build FreeAgent are reflecting our diverse customer base and bringing with them a range of ideas and experiences. What unites us is an openness to suggestions, and a drive to solve problems in the best way possible.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference!