This position is available as either 100% remote - you should be available / working during daylight hours in Central European (Summer) Time - or you can work at our headquarters in Cologne, Germany where many of our engineering team are situated.
At ESL, we are esports, our mission is to create a world where everybody can be somebody. As a Senior Backend Software Engineer at ESL you will be a leading member in the development of a team working on the tournament system or integrations that power our flagship esports tournament platform ESL Play.
As a leading member of your team, you will be relied on for your expertise in backend development to make smart decisions how our backend services are engineered, implement best practices and assist other team members.
Your Future Tasks:
- Building & improving our tournament platform & integration services and software architecture
- Migrating and rebuilding features from PHP to Scala microservices
- Giving feedback & estimating upcoming work
- Planning work with your team
- Communicating with product owners & other teams
- Writing & updating tests
- Documentation in our documentation tool (Confluence)
- Issues kept up to date & work logged in our issue tracker (JIRA)
- 1+ years of experience with Scala
Nice to have:
- Experience with PHP, in particular migrating from PHP to Scala
- Any strong & statically typed languages other than Scala
- University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or similar
- Effective communication skills with different stakeholders
- Experience with any of the following:
- Developing in Scala or any JVM language
- Orchestration with Mesos & Marathon, GitLab, Docker, Kubernetes
- Databases such as PostgreSQL, Cassandara
- Kafka, Akka Streams
- Finch, Finagle (twitter stack)
- Cloud providers, in particular AWS
- Experience playing online games or knowledge of esports
Any certificates you want to send us additionally can be attached to either your CV or your cover letter.